Shorter barreled rifles and un-burnt powder

I just looked at:
.260 Berger match grade 140gr at 2,789
vs
6.5 PRC Hornady Precision hunter 143gr @ 2,960.
So a difference of 171 fps.

I'm sure there are differences all over the board with handloading (which I've done) but for this purpose I used factory ammo info. Maybe I was wrong in doing that.

If one was to go with a 16" 6.5 PRC to gain the additional 170-350fps what do you see as the downsides?
Gotcha. I don't see the down side for a hunter. I like my prc and I like my creed. I have both for a reason.
I'd have zero issue building a prc for the extra umph.

Oh and by the way I've shot savage for years, built a couple remage, and run bighorn tl3. I love switch barrel diy rifles. I went bighorn so I could swap bolt heads run small, standard, and magnum.

I would be interested to see an apples to apples comparison between different cartridges in short barrels. I would suspect that the difference in short barrels would be very close to the difference in long barrels with optimized loads. One disadvantage to the higher capacity cartridges seems to be muzzle blast in short barrels. Usually the reason for going short is maintaining compactness with a suppressor. The larger capacity cartridges will no doubt be more difficult to suppress and probably would not be as close to hearing safe. That's likely why we don't see the combination more often.

<SNIPPED STUFF>If one was to go with a 16" 6.5 PRC to gain the additional 170-350fps what do you see as the downsides?
I think you should go with your plan: 6.5 PRC with 16" barrel
It'll be faster than a .260 Rem, so why not do it?
You already know the consequences of running a 'shorter than normal' barrel:
* Increased muzzle blast
* Less 'efficient' use of the powder burned
* Less barrel throat/leade life (compared to the .260 Rem)

What you get is more velocity (vs. 260 Rem)

It sounds like you are okay with the Cons and want to take advantage of the Pro. Do it!

I really want this to be a 16" prc. Thinking about rechambering a 6.5-284 to a prc and cut the barrel down to 16 and add my suppressor. If I could still get a 135 to fly at 2900-2950 it's still 200 plus faster than my 20" creed.

I really want this to be a 16" prc. Thinking about rechambering a 6.5-284 to a prc and cut the barrel down to 16 and add my suppressor. If I could still get a 135 to fly at 2900-2950 it's still 200 plus faster than my 20" creed.
How about cutting the 6.5-284 barrel first,then re chamber that to 6.5 prc to see the difference. A 284 case has the same case capacity as a 6.5 prc to the shoulder.

Last edited:
You can research your own Graph chart to find the best performer. Consider= 7 SAUM, 270 WSM, & 300 WSM & some were available as Carbines from the Manufacturers. (284) Larger Bore can actually help with the Shorter Barrel. Even though 600 Yards seems a cinch. Let's recall the 6.5 PRC was designed for PRC competition and is handicapped outside it's original design perimeters.

You can research your own Graph chart to find the best performer. Consider= 7 SAUM, 270 WSM, & 300 WSM & some were available as Carbines from the Manufacturers. (284) Larger Bore can actually help with the Shorter Barrel. Even though 600 Yards seems a cinch. Let's recall the 6.5 PRC was designed for PRC competition and is handicapped outside it's original design perimeters.
What are you taking about? That's like saying the 6.5-284 or 6.5 Remington mag are only good within a restricted design. It's not factual at all. The saum and wsm have larger powder capacity and will not work better in a short barrel. You still have burn rate issues with larger capacity cases and short barrels.

Had a few busy days but getting back to this.

So at first folks noted to stay away from the 6.5 PRC 16" flamethrower and the suggestions I received were 260, 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 mostly. The 260 would have been great but I didn't want to reload for this and since I wanted to stay in 6.5mm it seemed as though the CM was the way to go so I ordered a 16.5" remage Carbon Six barrel. Going with the creedmoor allows me to use my lighter, shorter Omega 300 can if I want. If I went with with the PRC I would have to use the Sandman L and that thing is a beast although for good reason. I use it on my 22" 300WM and it turns it into a pussycat. So since I went with the CM there is nothing here that really sets me apart from other builds. Also, I will be going with a trued Remington action from Northland Shooters Supply along with the remage barrel nut and recoil lug.

Getting back to this today I'm seeing some saying, what the hell go for the PRC. I'm still thinking on it. I do have a 24" 6.5 PRC now that I could swap out barrels if I decide to go that route. Re-reading this sounds like I'm easily swayed but I did get some really good info that sparked a lot of thinking on my part. I enjoy the process of figuring out what to do so I really do appreciate all of the info.

I want to keep this 16.5" CM really light so next step would be the stock. Thoughts on this? AG Composite CAT or this 20oz Proof I read about? It's starting to get up there in price but I'm open to suggestions or experiences. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.