Short Barrel Hunting Rig?

Short barrel 18in. rifle shooting solids?

• 6.5 PRC with 130 Hornady CX

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 7mm SAUM with Hornady 160 CX

Votes: 35 89.7%

• Total voters
I'm going with a Sendero light. The stock will have to be opened up just a bit.

So after reading everyone's responses... I am most likely to go 7 SAUM with a 20 in barrel. And yes I am running suppressed. I want to be a short as possible. Hate having the can catch on trees when hiking with it on my pack. Small and light is the goal
Man I'm telling you 18" is perfect for a suppressed 7mm inside 800 yards, monos suck at killing stuff at long range but it sounds like you're more committed to med range anyway.
I also run a 16" 6.5 saum which is really sweet.
Ask yourself what's more important, 50 yards added to your max effective range, or every other benefit of shorter/lighter

If you've already got dies and all the goodies for a 6.5 PRC why fix what isn't broke? Yes you'll gain a little more energy, less drift blah blah blah from a 7saum, yes 7saum is a little cooler cartridge. Unless you're running super heavy 7mm bullets you'll not gain that much. If it's primarily an elk gun I lean towards 7saum because you can sling heavier bullets and when dealing with bigger critters more is better.

Last edited:
If you've already got dies and all the goodies for a 6.5 PRC why fix what isn't broke? Yes you'll gain a little more energy, less drift blah blah blah from a 7saum, yes 7saum is a little cooler cartridge. Your not gaining life changing numbers, there's not an animal on the planet that'll notice the difference between the two. Unless you're slinging super heavy 7mm bullets you're not gaining much. If I didn't have a 6.5prc and needed another 800yd rifle I'd go 7prc because factory ammo will soon be available and it's doing everything the saum is but "easier". You'll find folks that swear by both I have no complaints about the performance of my 6.5 on deer wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk with it at 600yd. Shot placement and bullet construction mean more than anything.
It's not about gaining anything. More about loosing. Loosing length and weight for more comfortable back pack hunting. I have both the 6.5 PRC and 7 Saum components so that's not an issue. More just the current 24 in barrel with a 9 in can gets long real fast. Just interested in everyone's opinion on which way they would go with a new barrel. Like I said, I took a bull at 650 with the PRC this last weekend with the 156 berger... so it's absolutely not broken. But wasn't a fan of the berger meat destruction though.

So that brings me to another option. The 175 Accubond long range. Anyone with experience the long range Accubond would be appreciated. Heard both good and bad. I want real world experiences please. Thanks again for all the help and opinions 👍

It's not about gaining anything. More about loosing. Loosing length and weight for more comfortable back pack hunting. I have both the 6.5 PRC and 7 Saum components so that's not an issue. More just the current 24 in barrel with a 9 in can gets long real fast. Just interested in everyone's opinion on which way they would go with a new barrel. Like I said, I took a bull at 650 with the PRC this last weekend with the 156 berger... so it's absolutely not broken. But wasn't a fan of the berger meat destruction though.

So that brings me to another option. The 175 Accubond long range. Anyone with experience the long range Accubond would be appreciated. Heard both good and bad. I want real world experiences please. Thanks again for all the help and opinions 👍
Ah....I have a much easier solution. Buy a TBAC Ultra 5 Gen 2. Shave the 4" off the can, not the barrel.

But, I am in no way saying NOT to build a new rifle! That would be blasphemy, and totally against everything I stand for!

Hmm...maybe a 20" AND the new TBAC Ultra 5...

I have a lot of experience with NABLRs of various diameters and weights. Honestly, it is very rare that I have not had a flier. In almost every rifle I have tested them in. Maybe 2 out of 15 have not had a consistent flier. Tried charge weight, seating depth, primer swap, neck tension. Nothing helped in the rifles that threw one.

Ah....I have a much easier solution. Buy a TBAC Ultra 5 Gen 2. Shave the 4" off the can, not the barrel.

But, I am in no way saying NOT to build a new rifle! That would be blasphemy, and totally against everything I stand for!

Hmm...maybe a 20" AND the new TBAC Ultra 5...

I have a lot of experience with NABLRs of various diameters and weights. Honestly, it is very rare that I have not had a flier. In almost every rifle I have tested them in. Maybe 2 out of 15 have not had a consistent flier. Tried charge weight, seating depth, primer swap, neck tension. Nothing helped in the rifles that threw one.
Trust me... I'd love to get another can. Just not in the cards right now. Gotta work with what I have. I ended up with a 20in proof sendero light 8 twist. Just need to figure out what bullet I want the chamber cut for. Your info definitely is making me think the Accubond isn't going to be it... may just do the 168 berger or 180. I know they work and supper consistent. Good think I have some time to figure it out

I have a 6.5 prc and I'm reloading 135 Berger Classic Hunters 2941 is my speed also shooting suppressed.
I took a bull elk this year at 320 yards. I'm very happy with this setup.

Trust me... I'd love to get another can. Just not in the cards right now. Gotta work with what I have. I ended up with a 20in proof sendero light 8 twist. Just need to figure out what bullet I want the chamber cut for. Your info definitely is making me think the Accubond isn't going to be it... may just do the 168 berger or 180. I know they work and supper consistent. Good think I have some time to figure it out
In terms of chamber, I just have a SAAAMI chamber and I have had no problems getting VLDs, ELD-X, Accubonds, or Hammers to consistently shoot half-MOA or better.

I've used the 175 ablrs, they're without a doubt the worst performing LR bullet I've used.
The tip is very soft but the rest of the bullet doesn't expand enough for good wound channels.
My wife killed a really big 5x5 bull a few seasons back with ablrs, took 3 good hits to put him down. And 20 minutes later when we got to him he was still alive!
Never ever let friends use ablrs.

I know you dont like meat damage but I like minimal internal damage even less.

FWIW I dropped a buck this morning with my 18" 7-300 wsm improved.
Approx. 90 yards with a 180 vldh through the neck, zero meat loss
😎
20221117_070556.jpg

I've used the 175 ablrs, they're without a doubt the worst performing LR bullet I've used.
The tip is very soft but the rest of the bullet doesn't expand enough for good wound channels.
My wife killed a really big 5x5 bull a few seasons back with ablrs, took 3 good hits to put him down. And 20 minutes later when we got to him he was still alive!
Never ever let friends use ablrs.

I know you dont like meat damage but I like minimal internal damage even less.

FWIW I dropped a buck this morning with my 18" 7-300 wsm improved.
Approx. 90 yards with a 180 vldh through the neck, zero meat loss
😎
View attachment 410393
Well done! Nice buck as well. Oh believe me... I'm really starting to think the Bergers are the best choice. If I wouldn't have shot my bull twice I wouldn't have have both fronts so messed up. But I didn't want the bull to get back up. The first shot was good but the bull stumbled about 60 yards and bedded so I put another in him to end it. Necks are a good way to save meat, but at 620 plus yards the boiler room is the only shot for me.

Definitely looking like the 180 VLD Hunting is going to be the way to go...

20221113_150242.jpg
20221113_150219.jpg

175 Elite, 180 Hyb or 184 Hyb.

Man I'm telling you 18" is perfect for a suppressed 7mm inside 800 yards, monos suck at killing stuff at long range but it sounds like you're more committed to med range anyway.
I also run a 16" 6.5 saum which is really sweet.
Ask yourself what's more important, 50 yards added to your max effective range, or every other benefit of shorter/lighter
What velocity are you getting with the 16" 6.5 saum

I've got a 17" 6.5 prc that shoots 140 Berger vld 2820fps and I love it. Have a tikka magnum action showing up this week and now trying to decide what to build on it for a dedicated elk rifle
81D53A98-35DC-4F0C-9351-F2A628DD0D0D.jpeg

Well done! Nice buck as well. Oh believe me... I'm really starting to think the Bergers are the best choice. If I wouldn't have shot my bull twice I wouldn't have have both fronts so messed up. But I didn't want the bull to get back up. The first shot was good but the bull stumbled about 60 yards and bedded so I put another in him to end it. Necks are a good way to save meat, but at 620 plus yards the boiler room is the only shot for me.

Definitely looking like the 180 VLD Hunting is going to be the way to go...

View attachment 410396View attachment 410397
Good shooting and nice bull!
Yeah I only take neck shots at closer ranges for sure.
I also killed quite a few bulls and bucks with my 6.5 saum and there's a noticeable improvement in putting them down with a heavy 7mm