Short Barrel 300 RUM

Wild Monkey

How about a 16" Barrel on the 300 RUM? I was think just put a Brake on it and see how it Hunts.

magnums are based on 26" bbls.
why would you build a flame thrower..it might actually be hazardous in the woods.
your money but pretty much a waste of a bbl money and time. no velocity means a rainbow arc for ballistics.

Do it, for some reason people bash short barrel magnums-- they still shoot faster than equal length barrels of "smaller" cartridges. I've seen some short barrel "big cartridge" rifles in action and they really dont have all that much more muzzle flash than longer barrels. I'm sure I'll get flamed for my post though .

Do it, for some reason people bash short barrel magnums-- they still shoot faster than equal length barrels of "smaller" cartridges. I've seen some short barrel "big cartridge" rifles in action and they really dont have all that much more muzzle flash than longer barrels. I'm sure I'll get flamed for my post though .
The point is not that a big magnum on a short barrel is slower than a standard short action caliber. The argument is that on average a 300 rum runs roughly twice as much powder over a 308. Trying to burn that 95 grains of powder in a 16 inch tube is impossible. You won't even get a full burn on a 308 with rl17 in a 16" barrel. Much less a 300 rum with something like h1000 retumbo or rl26

Just my experience with chopping a barrel down on an ultra mag; cut one of my .338 RUM barrels down from 26" to 20" to shave length when running suppressed. It dropped velocity by 200 fps. I could only imagine the handicap you would be placing on a much more overbore cartridge with a much shorter barrel.
If I did a shorty .300 mag of any sort it would be on what is supposed to be a more efficient case, like the .300 WSM or one of Rich's SS/SST mags. They would probably fair better in a short barrel. But if it's what you already then why not...

+1 on a short mag vs a rum you can use a faster powder like H4350 or 100V with good load density and burn more of it. Do that with a rum and you're asking for trouble. Trying to burn Retumbo or other slow powder will indeed tear up your brake or can much faster.

There are many Good reasons for not making a short barreled rifle a 300 RUM and there are very few good reasons to do it, but there is nothing unsafe about it as long as you fill the case with at least 85% powder density to prevent Squibb loading.(Very dangerous).

At some point, most of the powder will be blown out of the barrel and burn outside the barrel doing nothing but wasting powder and creating a huge muzzle flash. There are many good cartridges that will perform equally as good in a short barrel without all of the problems.

No one is saying that you can't do it, just recommending that you shouldn't do it. One of the short mags with 60 to 70 grains of powder capacity will get you the same performance as the RUM with 90 to 100 grains of case capacity in a short barrel.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.