Need 300 Rum Barrel

Rottenron

I have a 300 Rum that I had built.It has a rem sendero contour barrel which is 4.5 lbs and a Ta5 Manner stock which 4.5 lbs.The rifle weighs 13.5 lbs with the scope. William Roscoe built the rifle it shoots lights out.I built a 338 Norma and now I want to lighten the rifle up to use it more conveniently for hunting but I still want to use it to shoot long range.I am thinking about the medium sporter or the heavy sporter. You guys that have built 300 Rum's for hunting what contour barrels did you use and what stocks did you go with.Really would like your input.lightbulb

I have a Sendero Barrel in 300Rum that's very low mileage. It shot well with factory ammo but I never worked up a load for it. I've decided to go with a lighter contour barrel that I already have that's got a couple of extra inches on it finishing around 30" that I plan to go back with.

If you decide on a sendero type barrel drop me a line. I don't have a whole lot in it and I"d be real reasonable parting with it.

I've just had to come to grips with the fact that due to repeated injuries and surgeries on my left arm and shoulder I need to lighten things up a bit for carry and field shooting where occasionally I've got to take an offhand shot. The sendero wt barrel is just heavy enough that it's beyond what I can now steady without a rest.

It's on a remington 700 action that's been trued and if I remember right they recut the threats on the barrel as part of squaring and truing it up.

Wildrose already have the sendero on my Rum. what the contour of your lighter barrel your using now.

Wildrose already have the sendero on my Rum. what the contour of your lighter barrel your using now.
It's about a #3.5 or Magnum Bull Sporter wt that finishes around .75.

Just a little lighter by maybe six ounces but it seems to handle better even with the added length.

I like it well enough that I'll probably have Chris at Benchmark do me one like it in .375Ruger.

I see a lot of potential in the .375Ruger out to at least 750-800yds in the right rig.

270-300gr bullets at or around 2800fps could be a lot of fun.

Of all the big bores I've shot to this point it is my favorite.

If it shoots well, and is a cut rifled quality barrel, and you are looking to shave about 8-10 oz., send it to Long Rifles Inc. and have them flute the barrel. I shaved
9 oz. off my 28" Rem Varmint contour Rock Creek barrel, and it shoots in the high .1s to low .2s. You could also flute the bolt and skeletonize the bolt handle for an additional 2-3 oz.

If you want to go more than that, look to a lighter contour or even a Proof Research barrel. Now I have never personally shot a Proof barrel, so I don't have first hand knowledge of their accuracy potential. But they weigh about the same as a #3 contour heavy sporter barrel with the stiffness of a heavy bull barrel.

3 shots @ 100

3 shots @ 408 (was a touch hotter than I originally chronoed)

I am working on loads for a friend's rifle in 7RM, and he has a #5 Krieger 26" fluted, and his total combo with McMillan Rem Hunter stock is pretty light, at about 10.5# w. scope.

Not my choice of bullet selection, but it shoots pretty good so far in load development. Still have fine tuning of charge weight, and seating depth, but it is shooting in the high .3s right now. The #5 wouldn't swim in a Sendero contour barrel channel either, like a #3 would.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.