Short Barrel 300 RUM

If I get 80 percent burn in 6 inches, then at 16 inches? I might even go 17 inches. / Maybe do one of those cut down Video's and check speed every inch for data?

If You want the most power of a short barrel I would go with heavier bullets (like 220+) and slow powder.

But I am also interested for results with lighter bullets (like 150gr) and what powder get more speed.

So go for it and post results.

Yep, I run a tc oncor in 338 win mag, 185 barnes ttsx at 2850 fps in a 16.5" barrel pistol. Also a 160 ttsx at 3150 fps. It groups about .250. Like having a mini earth quake in your hands. Hard and violent!

338 win mag

Attachments

• 20200428_121433.jpg
    20200428_121433.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 116
My load was 84 gr of ww760, with a 210m primer. If you should start a lot lower an work up because chambers are not all the same. These are hot loads!

I know.
I ask because I want to know which powder (slower or faster) work best for light for caliber bullets (like 160gr in 338 win mag).

I have 3006 with 20" and 150gr gmx and maybe if i can get 130hammers.
So I am trying to see what powder to use.
If You have some advice it would be very helpfull (I would use most likely some of n500 series from Vihtavuori)

Thanks again

Haven't used that power, but there are a lot of great powers in that case size to use. 4064,varget, rl19, ww760, even h4831sc. Just start low and work up. I get great groups with Barnes bullits.

Fast powders still peak out quicker and still show pressure signs earlier no matter what length barrel as your peak pressure usually is within the first 4-6" of your barrel- I tried 5 powders (different speeds) in a 16" 308w and found out that fast powders, and fast powders with light bullets arent really much different in short barrels than long ones.

Pretty much the rule of thumb (regardless of cartridge) is roughly 35 fps loss per inch of barrel length -- short fat seem to be a bit more efficient, but that generally holds true for standard length barrels as well.

They make flash hiders if you want to reduce muzzle flash, and I know some powders have a flash suppressant coating to help reduce muzzle flash if it's an issue for you

I know.
I ask because I want to know which powder (slower or faster) work best for light for caliber bullets (like 160gr in 338 win mag).

I have 3006 with 20" and 150gr gmx and maybe if i can get 130hammers.
So I am trying to see what powder to use.
If You have some advice it would be very helpfull (I would use most likely some of n500 series from Vihtavuori)

Thanks again
I run Rl19 in an 18" 06 with 130,150 and 165's. It's a 760 pump that shoots the 180 rn cor locs into a hole. The handloads are more for dinging dogs now that they don't issue doe permits. It's temp sensitive but if you add .3 for colder and subtract .3 grains every 15 degrees warmer it will stay in tune and continue to shoot like the day you shot them into a hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.