Short and lightweight hunter

WV Sendero

I am looking into building a shorter and lighter hunting rig (not long range). I love my big guns but they can be a PITA sometimes in tight woods and on the atv. I really like the look and feel of the Browning X-bolt stainless/synthetics. Anyone have any likes or dislikes with this gun? I am leaning towards a 300 WSM. Feel free to recommend any light and short rifle because I am open to suggestions. I will be mainly hunting whitetail but I would like to have enough gun to take elk if I get the chance.

For such an application the list is virtually endless. Kimber has several models that fit this as well as Remington's Seven series, mountain rifles, Winchester and of course savage.

As for choices of caliber, that would totally depend on your chosen game and intent for this rifle. Again it's a nearly endless list.

Last edited:
I would look at the Savage light weight hunter they just put out this year. Weighs in at 5.5# and 6.5# for the long action with an 20" barrel which in my opinion is optimal for a light weight easy maneuvering rifle. I currently own a Heavy barrel .308 with an 18" barrel that is effective to about 600yds.

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Lightweight Hunter

Considering you're only going for Whitetail, I would suggest the 260 or the 6.5 creedmore that is offered in this rifle. Personally I'm a 308 guy, but the the 7-08 and 243 will also get the job done. A light rifle in 300WSM is going to kick ya pretty good. These lighter calibers will give the same results out to 600 to 800 yards depending which caliber you pick and bullet. Recoil will be much less and much more enjoyable to shoot.

I'm a Savage guy, but I do own a Remmy Mod7 that shoots very very well with Hornady 95grn SST's. Recoil on this rifle is minimal and wouldn't be afraid to go to 500yds if I needed too.

Tank

I have a Remington CDL in 257 Weatherby Mag. This is a great lightweight whitetail rifle. I have shot mine out to 500 without any issues. I use the 110 grain accubond and have dropped muleys and whitetail with it with no issues. There are so many to choose from out there that are all great rifles this is a tough decision.

CB

I have a tikka t-3 light in 300 wsm and it is very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Recoil really isn't a thought while shooting it. Tikka has the system down for no recoil. I have one in 338 winchester my wife shoots, no brake.

I've done some more searching and I think I have it narrowed down to Kimber Montana, Browning X bolt, and Sako Finnlight. I'm pretty set on the 300 WSM unless I go with Kimber and then I may consider the 280 AI. Anyone have any thoughts on these rifles?

I have packed and shot a Browning SS abolt for the last 5 years, 7-6oz w/4-14x40. 325wsm think barrel is 23'', they make a tit. but it is double price, have shot 1/2-3/4 @ 100, son and I taken elk out to 5-600 with it.

I would look at the Savage light weight hunter they just put out this year. Weighs in at 5.5# and 6.5# for the long action with an 20" barrel which in my opinion is optimal for a light weight easy maneuvering rifle. I currently own a Heavy barrel .308 with an 18" barrel that is effective to about 600yds.

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Lightweight Hunter

Considering you're only going for Whitetail, I would suggest the 260 or the 6.5 creedmore that is offered in this rifle. Personally I'm a 308 guy, but the the 7-08 and 243 will also get the job done. A light rifle in 300WSM is going to kick ya pretty good. These lighter calibers will give the same results out to 600 to 800 yards depending which caliber you pick and bullet. Recoil will be much less and much more enjoyable to shoot.

I'm a Savage guy, but I do own a Remmy Mod7 that shoots very very well with Hornady 95grn SST's. Recoil on this rifle is minimal and wouldn't be afraid to go to 500yds if I needed too.

Tank
Actually of the calibers named the .260R is proving to be the superior caliber all the way around, particularly at long range over the last couple of years in real world field and competitive venues.

It's a great round which is why I'm having one build right now.

I shot a friend's kimber custom in 260 out to 1,200 last summer and was utterly amazed at the perfomance. I was hooked like a Big Mouth Billy Bass.

For white tail sized game I don't think there's anything in it's class over all, particularly when you figure in recoil and long range capaibility.

Short and lightweight doesn't have to give up range. I've ran this lightweight 243 for a couple season's now with very good "luck". It holds under moa to 500yds+ under field conditions, and flat knocks down whitetails. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, easy to load for....what more could you ask for.

DSC_4726.jpg

DSC_4675.jpg

CSC_3320.jpg

10220_166567937316_668957316_4104046_14091_n.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

Love my remmy 700 sps sporter as a light stalking rifle. Barrel chopped to 20" 24oz graphite stock 7oz suppressor. The German illuminated 2.5-10x50 Kaps is maybe a bit heavy but great low light glass. AICS magazine avoids feeding problems. Total 17 deer with this rifle last season, best being 3 in about 6 sec. Since barrel chop and 15 deg crown she grouped 1" at 300m 3 shot.
Total weight loaded with suppressor 8.8lb
edi

DSCN5129.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.