Shooting sticks, snipepods, tall harris bipods etc

lurcher

Just wondered what you guys prefer in situations where there is tussock or low lying scrub which stops you from shooting prone. I have used underwood shooting sticks but don't feel steady enough with these for shots over 150M (I am not an experienced long range shooter). Just bought a snipepod, haven't tried it out yet but it seems a bit steadier. Was tempted to look at a taller harris but these are somewhat heavy.

Lurcher
New Zealand

Welcome Lurch,

I have/had some neighbors who just move to New Zealand. They live in the same town as did Burt the motorcycle guy.

Any thing with three legs is better than anything with two legs which is better than anything with one leg, in my experience.

However, where weight and handyness is of concern, the Harris types have too many knobs for adjustment and then you can only get 'close' in most of my hunting conditions.

As usual, I've developed a set of shooting sticks that fit my needs pretty well. They only have two legs so one has to develop their technique for shooting off of them or any other sticks for that matter. These do not attach to the rifle and are easy to carry and are very light. I make them in three lenghts. One for shooting off of a short 3 legged stool, one for the sitting/kneeling position and one for prone.

Takes about 30 minutes to build after you get the parts together.

If you have interest email me and I'll send some pics and design.

Thanks Roy, I live two hours north of Invercargill, the home of Burt. They have a display of his bikes at the local museum at the moment. Have sent you an email.
Cheers

Lurch

I have used a set of Harris bi-pods for the past 5 or 6 years for mostly sitting or kneeling shots out to 400yds. The rifles are somewhat light but they do shoot well off the bi-pod. I have also used my Sendero to take a few hogs and one nice buck out at around 300yds.

THey take practice and a steady hand when squeezing the shot off, however they can be effective.

I have also used a couple of different shooting stick variations in one form or another which were home made and they worked equally as well. The main thing is to pick something that fits you comfortably and then get out and practice off them.

Lastly I have began using the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod system for two rifle I use the most in the field. Polecat Rapid Bipod

Neither of them are really set up to shoot out past about 200 yds but both have done so in the past numerous times. Since I can leave the main bipod up where we hunt and then only have to remember to bring the rifle it makes life for me a little easier, and it is pleanty steady for the ranges I most often shoot them at.

Not to highjack this thread...

But Mike, how the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot and Harris compare in stability? I see you say "plenty steady", but could you say how much difference in accuracy you get?

Anyone tried Caldwell's bipods?

Thanks.

Wim

There are advantages and drawbacks to both.

In my experience the Harris is more rigid and stable than the Stoney Point. The Harris is heavier and mounted to your rifle. THis provides more of a solid rest when deployed but also is somewhat cumbersome for an off hand shot, should one be presented. The Harris once set in place also will not allow much of a pan before repositioning the legs, as they do not swivel left and right.

The Stoney Point is not hard mounted, so to speak, and can be carried seperately and then popped on when needed. This works great for the stalking we do, as is often the case, we end up jumping the game at close qaurters. The attachment is simple and quick as it simply pops onto a pre mounted fixture on the forearm of your rifle. It hasn't been a noticable hinderence in any hunting situation I have used it yet. The S-P allows you to follow moving game if your wating for the right shot, as it will allow you to pan left or right to a decent extent before having to reposition the legs.

The drawback that I have experienced with the S-P is that they are pretty flexible as far as when your spreading them out. THey also swivel easily and you have to manually set the twist locks on the legs when you deploy them. This takes extra time that sometimes you really do not have. Where the Harris are basically just pull set and your ready. If your in a situation where you can get set up to cover an area or are not rushed the S-P's can be used effectively. You could also set the legs out and lock them in advance to allow a faster set up time.

I would say that either can be decent out to 500yds, with practice. It would just depend on how you hunt and what your looking for in the rest. The Harris is a more solid fixture, but the S-P is more versital in some situations.

I use the S-P on a Compact Ruger 308 and a 7# Rem in .270 Win. The Harris are used on a Sendero in 7mag , 25/06, and now my .270 AM. All have made shots on game out to 400yds, but for the precise work I generally am using the Harris.

I use the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-a-long for rear support. **** near as good as a bench. Shown is with a stool but it can be adjusted down for sitting.
normal_PoleCat.jpg

I want one tripod like this, but which size for sitting down on the ground?
I'am thinking of the same size they use in the DVD: Best of the West.

Is it "Compact tripod" size 16 to 38"
Or the Explorer tripod size 25 to 62"

Will be using this for rifle shooting, sitting down. And i'am 6 feet tall if that should matter?

Some1 who knows?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.