Harris Bipods

bearingarms

Hello y'all. I am in the process of building a long range shooter. It is a Remington 700, 300 SAUM "short action ultra mag" with a Boyds' thumbhole stock. I have decided to go with a Harris 6"- 9". I have not used a harris with the notched legs and wanted to get a few experienced thoughts on them? Does the notched legs make for easier / faster adjustments?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Jason

I generally prefer the notched legs. Whatever you decide, you will want to get the a model that swivels and then install a Pod-Loc.

As stated above the swivel is a must. I am not a fan of the notched legs, just don't seem as solid as the straight legs. jmtc

I've owned both style of the Harris bipod and, IMO, the notched legs are better for the type of shooting I do.
They are quick to adjust and, because they are notched, easier to adjust equally. The bipod without the notched legs makes it difficult to adjust both legs at the same height.
Swivel style is a MUST ... the value of the pod lock is a no-brainer.
For prone target competition I prefer the shorter (6 - 9 inch) but for hunting I prefer the longer version (9 - 13 inch)
Note:
When you're out in the field with the bipod, carry an allen wrench to fit the adjustment knobs. When hands are cold it's difficult to turn those little knurled knobs.

Do they not have any type of security lock after the notched legs are seated into position?

Yes, they do have a "security" locking mechanism that works using a spring loaded clamping device. It works very well.
You just have to push the button to release the lock if you need to move to another notch.

I've owned both style of the Harris bipod and, IMO, the notched legs are better for the type of shooting I do.
They are quick to adjust and, because they are notched, easier to adjust equally. The bipod without the notched legs makes it difficult to adjust both legs at the same height.
Swivel style is a MUST ... the value of the pod lock is a no-brainer.
For prone target competition I prefer the shorter (6 - 9 inch) but for hunting I prefer the longer version (9 - 13 inch)
Note:
When you're out in the field with the bipod, carry an allen wrench to fit the adjustment knobs. When hands are cold it's difficult to turn those little knurled knobs.

The equal adjustment of the two legs was a problem for me with the standard / traditional legs a well. I'm glad to know it was not just me. I started to get a complex that made me uncoordinated...LOL Good info on the allen wrench as well!!!

I have a 6 - 9 and as mentioned it is good for shooting prone with a target level or down hill to the shooter. However, it is too short when attemting to make the inclined shots. I would purchase the longer model as previously mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.