Bipod, shooting sticks or not?

SAKO06

I live in BC in the mountains and shoot from 7 feet (that's a wolf story) to 700 yards plus on all types of terrain. I see so many rifles outfitted with a bipod that I kinda feel I might be missing something as I don't use one right now. Are they more specific for open ground hunting or has anyone used them as an effective all-round tool?gun)

I live in BC in the mountains and shoot from 7 feet (that's a wolf story) to 700 yards plus on all types of terrain. I see so many rifles outfitted with a bipod that I kinda feel I might be missing something as I don't use one right now. Are they more specific for open ground hunting or has anyone used them as an effective all-round tool?gun)
I use both depending on the circumstances and terrain. There are lots of situations where one or the other will work but not both. I've shot off of both of those, packs, saddles, horses, trees, rocks, friends, whatever is available to help me steady up.

If you don't have one, then of course you won't be using one, even if it was the right tool for the particular job of the moment.

Long grass often means needing a tall bipod and shooting from a seated instead of prone position. The "right" equipment changes based on the season and ground cover conditions. I have medium, tall bipods as well as shooting sticks.

Have not yet had a shot from deep snow, but for that one may have to use the pack or mat since anything else would punch through.

I will take a bipod and tripod (substitution for shooting stick) The bipod is the most stable and will use that first if able. If not, then the tripod. The tripod is also useful for steadying a rangefinder.

I find one or the other to be necessary in field shooting situations at distances greater than 200 yards, maybe less depending on conditions and circumstances. I can make a descent offhand or off knee shot to 300 or so at the rifle range, but after trekking around all day in the field, my offhand capability goes way down.

In some situations a fallen tree trunk, branch or rock makes a handy platform. Once I even laid down in a large sage brush and used my back pack on top of it. But natural platforms are not always available, and a steady hold is a must for LR shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.