Shooting sticks for Elk hunt?

backyardsniper

I have an elk hunt booked for 2014 with Folsom outfitters in New Mexico. Thanks to all of you who patiently replied to the 500 threads I started over the past couple years pertaining to "help me find an outfitter", "where is the best state for non resident to hunt elk" and all those same threads that we see repeatedly.
Well now that we have a hunt booked I would like to get a little help on equipment. I got the rifle on the way. Been working on a new build Stiller tac 300 26" broughton 5c on a manners MCS-t stock. Got a nightforce F1 with NPR1 reticle that is on my 308 at the moment which is a carbon copy of the 300 wm I'm getting built. I do still need some good Binos if anyone has any suggestions. What I'm here for though is shooting sticks. What model and brand do you all recommend. I'm looking at the tripod models like the Bog Pod 22-68" model or maybe the tripod trigger sticks.
We will be hunting in NM, it is not super rough terrain. I believe roughly around 6500-7500'. Mesa's and canyons was how he described it. I prefer the three legged sticks because you can put a strap between two of the legs and use it from a sitting position as well. I want to get the sticks and all my equipment in order well ahead of time so I can practice with it. Particularly the sticks. I'm from KY and we just don't use them a lot here since most of what we do is tree stand hunting. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

I have never hunted elk in NM but I have killed a lot of elk (one last weekend as a matter of fact) and I always carry a set of the stoney point sticks in my pack incase I have no option other than sitting shot. They fold up nicely like tent poles and are light weight. My preferred rifle rest when hunting anything is prone over my pack. if I need some elevation I will throw my pack over a piece of brush or a log. Some people even carry a rear bag with them to gain an even better rest. if you are looking to shoot sitting upright I would look at those tripod gun cradle things. it gives you a front and rear rest on a single tripod. I think BOTW sells them, Len might too and I know caldwell has one.

I have the Caldwell one and if you are interested let me know. I would love to sell mine. It may be ok for some situations and certain people. But it is useless in my eyes in the long range world. It is so unstable I have never used it since I put it together.

I have a opportunity to try a bog tripod out. Was going to even do a thread for it to see what anyone wants me to try. I would let you know exactly how things work. I am going to get the camo one with the quick change head that allows you to put a cradle on it for your binos. I would want the short one as I lay down a lot, would be awesome for horse hunting. If I put my gun in a scabbard then I have to take my bipod off.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.