Shooting from sticks

I always have clients shoot from sticks, especially when they are not used to the terrain or they are in unfamiliar shooting positions. My go to is the Primos tri pod stick, no need to look where you place the legs as they self level when the trigger on the sticks is depressed. You can swivel the head and depress the trigger handle to raise the rest to your desired height all while the rifle is on the the tripod and while you are looking through the scope. Steady as a dead rest! Like it has been stated, get some sticks and teach yourself you will become proficient in no time at all
On hard frozen terrain and gravel I find the tripod trigger stick wants to squat downwards away from the rifle unless holding massive force on the trigger sticks. Sounds counterintuitive but during recoil the rifle "hammers" the promos tripod legs open if the shot is held loosely.
Anyone else experienced this?

The most valuable thing I can find when shooting from sticks is just a tree or post to rest my shoulder and/or back against. That removes a whole lot of the circular movement error.

The nice thing about the rear rest if you get it solid is that it pretty well eliminates vertical movement errors.

If you can get control of one of the two major errors, lateral and vertical life gets a lot simpler but having a solid shoulder/back rest greatly reduces both when shooting from any sort of front rest, particularly one as tall as sticks.
Agree as I said in an earlier reply I always incorporate a tree if I am around one, but in fields or powerlines and pipelines they are not always readily available, I usually go against the side of the tree with my gun and body to steady it, but I like what you said about your back against it, I do this when hunting turkeys with a shotgun, and I am sure I have set up this way with a rifle for turkeys before, but that would have been for closer ranges and I can't remember just how steady it was ! But it sounds good !

If your pack has an internal frame or you run an external pack frame it works good as a rear support when stood on its end

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.