Film: Shooting sticks

Roe

I think a pair of shooting sticks should be in any hunters arsenal. They add great flexibility due the height of support offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well done!

I am working hard lately to improve my shooting sticks technique and to significantly expand my own maximum accurate yardage with them.

I think a pair of shooting sticks should be in any hunters arsenal. They add great flexibility due the height of support offered.

I agree, especially when you can't get into prone due to terrain, long grass etc. I have used a "polecat" in Australia ad Africa to good effect. It is not as solid as rested prone, but if you use a small seat and rest your elbows on your thigh/hip joint, you can get pretty solid. I have taken game shots at over 400 yards from this position.

I have watched all of this gent's videos on youtube. Great stuff, very well produced quality, and he is full of great tips and info. Tom, if you read this, thanks very much!

Thanks for that guys.
Len, if you use a small hunting backpack you can put it on your lap to get your elbow support a little higher.

The shown position requires a fair bit of abdomen muscle work, with a tight backpack far less. I'll try and make a film with the backpack added and shoot the right target for direct comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.