Best shooting sticks for elk hunting?

Do you have POI shifts with a rifle not sighted in while attached to the Reaper? That would seem to add substantial weight directly to the rifle and would affect muzzle rise and recoil speed and affect POI during long-range shots?

I don't have any issues at all out to 865 yards hitting 1 moa steel. For hunting I'm not trying to shoot X's on paper. All five animals I harvested this season were shot with that setup. My hunting rifle is a 7mm RM Proof that does .25 moa all day long... at least when I'm doing my part! :)

~Robert

Attachments

• Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 160
I've just started working with my reaper/manfrotto setup. So far it's working out great. Of course the real test will be this coming fall!!!

I've just started working with my reaper/manfrotto setup...

I predict you're going to LOVE the Reaper. Once I got my setup dialed in, the old Trigger stick and BogPod collect nothing but dust. Manfrotto makes a great tripod and they'll stand behind it.

The Reaper is its over-built at least for my use. I took it to a local machinist and he milled a good 8oz out of it. that gives it better balance in my hand with a lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I may even have him mill out some more because I'm a weight weenie!

~Robert

The Reaper is its over-built at least for my use. I took it to a local machinist and he milled a good 8oz out of it. that gives it better balance in my hand with a lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I may even have him mill out some more because I'm a weight weenie!

~Robert[/QUOTE]

Good idea on the milling. It is a hefty piece!

I use my hiking poles with straps over lapped in a way that creates a cradle for my stock's forearm. This takes a bit of practice so it's second nature in the field.

i.e. My hiking poles are crossed so the handles lean outward and don't touch the rifle.

Eric B.

I'm still waiting on my buddy to get my tripod mount in for my Evo bipod. I bought a primos trigger stick bipod. The tall one. Works good for varmints and a walking stick. Haven't had much time to shoot with the bolt gun

I live in Cheyenne, WY. We elk hunt from 1 Sept to 30 Nov/Jan when possible. If you're hunting anything remotely close to the timber, you need a tree branch or be prepared to shoot unsupported. My last elk was 250 yards off my knee during a late season cow hunt after bow season didn't pan out in '15. We could see for miles, located on BLM and had no issues getting within that range of small herds passing through. Last season we had twins...yeah it was a slow season.

Shooting across canyons even for southern WY is not overly common but Area 7 (limited tag) is a different story. In the mountains you can get close enough to not need to carry any of that. Private down low is more open and it would be more common.

I'm sure people would disagree that's fine. Come with me to 10000' this fall and let's see what shakes loose. Otherwise, shooting sticks are a little wobbly but very light and easy to pack.

I use my hiking poles with straps over lapped in a way that creates a cradle for my stock's forearm. This takes a bit of practice so it's second nature in the field.

i.e. My hiking poles are crossed so the handles lean outward and don't touch the rifle.

Eric B.

This is what I do as well. I don't want to carry a heavy setup while I backpack hunt. I do also keep the longer (13-2x inches) Harris bipod in my backpack and combined with my hiking poles I can pretty much always figure out a way to set up for a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.