Shooting Steel

So I see a lot of replies here that guys are shooting steel with hunting rifles at 100 , 200 yards !! What is the point of that ? Isn't the whole point of shooting steel so that you can have a audible ring at longer distances and spot your hits ?
With most scopes bigger than 14 power I can see my groups at 200 yards on paper so why would anybody shoot at steel inside of that ?
Instant gratification!

Unless is was thin plate, I don't believe it was AR500 rated steel. It may have been advertised as such, but I have been shooting steel for a long time. I have hammered mine at 100 yards with my 338 Lapua, using 300 grain MatchKings at 2750 fps. All it did was knock the paint off. My steels are 7/16" thick.
These are LEGIT AR500 Plates….speed punches through armor folks! Plates measure at 7/16th's 😉

I thought I had a new disc, so I ran out to the shop and I do!! Looks like a 20 or 22". I don't "normally" shoot steel under 200yds as paper works just fine. I have never shot these discs at 100yds, and I will today and find out what happens. I don't have a T post that close as AH's shoot them in half, so I'll just prop it against something and let her rip. I dont have any monster wildcats. How does a 223, 30-06, and a 28N for the larger one sound? Going to go shoot some trap for 6-7hrs, then I'll shoot the disc and post up pics (NO BS PICS...TAKE IT HOW IT SHOWS UP PICS) later tonight. Have to get some yard work done as Kokanee are biting and you know I am so so so busy.:cool:😇😂
How did those discs work out? I'm very interested