Shooting steel oops moment

TXAoudadKlr

Went to the range yesterday morning to collect drop data for my Defensive edge 338LM. I go set up on the 400 yard steel human silhouette target shot, impact looked good, so I moved over to hit the what was an 8" teardrop now is roughly 6"wide having been broken by a previous shooter(s). I centered up and let the round loose, impact was good the target swung all the was back. Then it swung back towards me and the teardrop part was gone. Not being able to do anything about it I took aim at 600 after making adjustments and missed the 6" target 3 times before checking impact on the human silhouette to see my wind call was half what I was holding off. The next shot was dead center. With all my drops matching my ballistic app. The teardrop has an extension piece the drops it down roughly 2ft from the hanger. It was a *** moment for me, good news is I got to keep the plate as a souvenir if you will

Here's what's left of the teardrop

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 99
I wish!

I've broken a number of the targets at the range. Most with 338 and larger. Some with 300 RUM.

This is .5" plate at 800 yds. A custom 300 RUM pushing 215 Berger hybrids at 3150 fps MV, drills 5/8" holes. Never thought it would happen at that distance. I need more metal now

Attachments

• gong.jpg
    gong.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 90
This is .5" plate at 800 yds. A custom 300 RUM pushing 215 Berger hybrids at 3150 fps MV, drills 5/8" holes. Never thought it would happen at that distance. I need more metal now

You must just be slightly past the limits of that steel looking at impact velocity and KE for that range.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.