Shooting Steel

I'm a farmer and use old worn disc blades mostly at distance. Never a dent. My buddies 6.5-300 Weatherby mag cut a hole through a 1/2" mild steel plate like a victor torch without dimpling at 400 yards. The 1/2" AR500 and old disc blades didn't have a dent at the same distance. The concavity helps direct some energy away just as theseReelamin's pictures depict.
I use 1/2" AR500 from 100 on out and for 300-400 and beyond... free used disc blades work great!!
Yep, I usually shoot them 400 and out...never an issue. Most people have no clue and don't believe me. I just say ok....keep laying out 100's-1000's on fancy steel I go have coffee a donut and find out where the big bucks are sprouting horns. LOL They run em almost to the hub anymore.

Suppose there should have been mention about how the steel is mounted may also decrease the potential for damage and/or increase the overall lifespan of the target. If the steel cannot move upon impact it is going to concentrate the energy . If it can swing or move upon impact it can transfer some of the energy of the impact.

Everything else still applies, but it might help lessen the impact damage.

Yep, I usually shoot them 400 and out...never an issue. Most people have no clue and don't believe me. I just say ok....keep laying out 100's-1000's on fancy steel I go have coffee a donut and find out where the big bucks are sprouting horns. LOL They run em almost to the hub anymore.
I would assume that a disc would also be made from abrasion resistant steel as well. I would think if mild steel was used it would likely wear or damage pretty quick.

Last edited:
I would assume that a disc would also be made from abrasion resistant steel as well. I would think if mold steel was used it would likely wear or damage pretty quick.
They make cheap Chinese mild steel discs if you want to spend half. That's the junk they sell at most of the big box "farm supply"store. Heck totally spaced that people would have no clue it wasn't hardened. Never crossed my mind I guess. Just like old plow cutter bars you could get for free. I welded one on a orchard tractor early 80's. Thing is still almost good as new.

Hang the steel from chains with 4" to 6" long grade 8 bolts. This allows the plate to be at about a 20 degree angle. Will last a VERY long time and will save the frame and deflect most of the shrapnel down. This is a required method at some ranges, especially on the East Coast.

Dave
Exactly correct. I have been shooting AR500 steel for YEARS. literally thousands of rounds from 243 to 338 Lapua from 100 yards to 1 mile. As long as it hangs and is able to swing, you won't punch through it. Unless it's not real AR500. I've seen a few shady places that advertise cheap 'AR500' grade steel and hear the stories about people that think their rifles are supper guns because they shoot through it. Get your steel from a reputable source, hang it correctly, and it should last you for decades.

been hanging steel using old fire hose since conveyor belt is not around me. Used steel chain, but got tired of my buddies cutting it, uh me too on occassion. Still using the original fire hose I got from the fireman. They have to change out hoses and always have hoses they have to discard. got a hundread foot piece that must be 12" hose. I just cut length and width to my need. The stuff lasts forever. I even have some 4" canvas encased hose that works great.

720 yards; 3/8' farn disc; shooting 300 WM with Berger 190 or 210 VLD; easily punched holes through on every shot.

I have been talking to a local machine shop about what steel to use for targets out to 500 yds.
They tell me 1/2"AR Plate won't stand up to medium magnum calibers(7mm-300Win)
Anybody had any experience with this?
I shoot 3/8 from 400, out to 1k, no troubles at all. My 1K target is 24x24, and weighs 61 lbs. 1/2 inch would be more than I could handle.

The rule of thumb I've been told with AR500 is to keep impact velocity under 3000fps and it will last and shouldn't damage it.
I made the mistake at the local range and forgot with my 22-250 at 3800 and dented the plate at 100yds pretty good.

I have been talking to a local machine shop about what steel to use for targets out to 500 yds.
I use ar500 1/2" gongs, 1/2 and full size
i use 1/2 ar500 gongs from 3"-12" as well as 1/2 abs full size ipsc targets. I shoot 223-300wm and have been doing this for 5+ years. The only thing I do is flip the steel every once in a while. They hold up like a champ. I'm shooting my 300wm at 3000ft per second.

Recent Posts