Shooting problem

Mauser34

I recently started shooting again and I am having a problem with my position. The crosshairs on my scope move left to right when shooting prone and bench. It happens with both of my rifles and they each have there own scope. Any ideas what can cause this and how to fix it?

I don't quite understand what you are saying. But I know this, if you leave that rifle on the bench and don't touch it, the crosshair is not going to move at all. So most likely what you are describing is you moving the crosshair while you are breathing. This is what I do to limit the movement of the crosshair. I take a breath and let it out. When I get to that point where the last bit of air is going out and I am still, that is when I start squeezing the trigger. A lot of us that do long range shooting have their triggers set light so that once we are on target and all set to shoot, it doesn't take much squeezing of the trigger at all. Some people have heavier triggers. If you find yourself squeezing the trigger really slow and it hasn't gone off by the time that you feel you need to take another breath, just go ahead and leave the tension that you have put on the trigger with your finger and take another breath and let it out again and then start squeezing again from where you left off.

If this is not what you are talking about then please elaborate a little more so that the simple minded (me) can understand. :D

I recently started shooting again and I am having a problem with my position. The crosshairs on my scope move left to right when shooting prone and bench. It happens with both of my rifles and they each have there own scope. Any ideas what can cause this and how to fix it?

PARALAX..!! adjust the paralax to the distance your target is at.! look for a clear retical.! ( dont adjust paralax for a clear target but adjust for clear retical.!!! )
so basicly just set up your rifle some where and fixate it. adjust your paralax knob to the target that your retical is clear and thick. after doing that move your head up and down and left to right and the crosshair shouldnt move at all. if you dont have a scope with an adjustable parralax knob.. then make shure there isnt any scope shadow ( dark areas on the edges that apear if you are not looking through it centered ) when you looking through your scope. if you dont se any shadows with a non adjustable paralax scope that should be a sighn you are aiming straight. saim thing as looking down iron sights. if you move your head the point of aim seems to change. this is why l dont like scopes without paralax adjustments.
hope this helps

I think it is the paralex too. I have been shooting for about 10 years now and I was a designated Marksman in the marines, but I have not shot for the last 3 years. I understand firing at my respiratory pause. When i adjust the paralex I always check up and down movement and I adjust it until the movement is gone. The side to side movement seems to happen all of the time and with two different rifles and scopes. It seems to move constantly and I can watch it move about 1 MOA at 100 yards. I can look through the scope and watch the reticle moves side to side.

I have scopes i can not get the parralax completely out of at 100 yards. So i just dont practice at 100 yards.

Usually horizontal parallax is the last to go, and more difficult to check, in my experience.

It sounds like you are introducing this movement since you have adjusted out parallax. Have you double checked you NPA? Get in position, close your eyes and go through 2 or 3 breathing cycles while you relax, then open your eyes while still being relaxed. Are the cross hairs where you left them?

Or it could be that double espresso you just had.:)

It sounds like you are introducing this movement since you have adjusted out parallax. Have you double checked you NPA? Get in position, close your eyes and go through 2 or 3 breathing cycles while you relax, then open your eyes while still being relaxed. Are the cross hairs where you left them?

Or it could be that double espresso you just had.:)

Haha maybe I'll stop drinking coffee before the range. Yes I do check natural point of aim and I follow the same procedure you explained.

PARALAX..!! adjust the paralax to the distance your target is at.! look for a clear retical.! ( dont adjust paralax for a clear target but adjust for clear retical.!!! )
so basicly just set up your rifle some where and fixate it. adjust your paralax knob to the target that your retical is clear and thick. after doing that move your head up and down and left to right and the crosshair shouldnt move at all. if you dont have a scope with an adjustable parralax knob.. then make shure there isnt any scope shadow ( dark areas on the edges that apear if you are not looking through it centered ) when you looking through your scope. if you dont se any shadows with a non adjustable paralax scope that should be a sighn you are aiming straight. saim thing as looking down iron sights. if you move your head the point of aim seems to change. this is why l dont like scopes without paralax adjustments.
hope this helps

paralax on both scopes, ,with all the respect you deserved, think you need to visit you Ophthalmologist

hope this helps

paralax on both scopes,with all the respect you deserved, think you need to visit you Ophthalmologist

paralax on both scopes, ,with all the respect you deserved, think you need to visit you Ophthalmologist
hehehe. thay are bushnel after all not a ZEİSS VİCTORY DAVARİ 6X24-56

in my experiance a quallity rifle scope is better than any sort of glasses that an eye doctor can possibly perscribe :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.