"Shooter" for Android Table Question

What do you think of the recent update to this program for wind input?
New page opens up with a arrow to indicate wind strength and direction.

I hate it. Ruined a good program.

This functionality is entirely optional. If you touch the words 'wind speed' or 'wind angle', it will pop-up with the circle and arrow. But if you don't want that, you can tap the numeric input and edit it the original way. If this doesn't work at first, try touching and holding the wind numbers, eventually the keypad will come up and let you enter numbers.
The thinking behind entering wind this way is that it makes it quicker (important since wind is a quickly changing variable), and the sacrifice in exact precision was accepted because realistically you won't know wind down to the mph or degree anyway.

Regarding the direction, I see your point on this. I'll give it some thought and maybe bring it up with the developer. Maybe it makes more sense for the wind arrow to originate at the edge of the circle and point inward? How would you think it makes best sense?

Also we'll discuss making it store the last input range & wind data regardless of where it was entered (HUD or input screen). I've been caught by this too and it is a little annoying.

-Bryan

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the advice, the program must have been updated again as I am sure my version would not do that yesterday.
Now it is much better.
This is the thing that I like about this program, the small bugs get sorted out with each update.
A better product results in the end.
With input form you Bryan, I am sure that we will have an excellent program to meet our needs.
Well done.

Also we'll discuss making it store the last input range & wind data regardless of where it was entered (HUD or input screen). I've been caught by this too and it is a little annoying.

-Bryan

That would be great. I really like this program and we have used it to sack up game all season.

Thanks

Jeff

On same note, not a big fan of the wind feature since it seems to be upside down.

However, on another note regarding the elevation correction feature, if I leave it at 1.0 (disabling this feature), does this mean the value used to calculate the dope is a true MOA (1.0471996 at 100 yards) or "shooters" MOA at this point?

i.e.
A scope with true MOA (nightforce) should have this feature set to 1.047?
A scope with "shooters" MOA (millet) should have this feature set to 1.0?

Awesome to have this feature. Love the program. Just need help with clarification. I have tested my scopes in the field to confirm their capability (36 moa is ~ 37.7 inches of correction) I just want to have the setting right.

From the Android manual

Elevation Correction - This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. If you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. So say your elevation solution for a 1000yd shot is 28MOA and you have the correction factor of 1.08695652. Shooter will multiply 28 by 1.08695652 to give you 30.4MOA. So even though the real solution is 28, you'd dial 30.4MOA because your scope only adjusts .23MOA rather than .25MOA per-click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit in the Solution and Trajectory Table screens when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected and not the actual calculated correction. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted. To effectively disable this feature, leave the input set to 1.0

Scot E.

Yeah I read that too, but still don't think it answered my question (maybe I suck at phrasing the question:D). Should a scope with true MOA have this set on 1.0 or 1.047? Some scopes CLAIM 1/4 minute clicks, but the difference between shooter's MOA and True MOA is huge at long distances. My millet scope 4 clicks = 1 inch exactly at 100 yards. My nightforce seems to be 4 click = 1.047 at 100 yards (as a higher quality scope should be).

If shooter is using 1 to represent no correction factor, is this based on 1.0 or 1.047?

Yeah I read that too, but still don't think it answered my question (maybe I suck at phrasing the question:D). Should a scope with true MOA have this set on 1.0 or 1.047? Some scopes CLAIM 1/4 minute clicks, but the difference between shooter's MOA and True MOA is huge at long distances. My millet scope 4 clicks = 1 inch exactly at 100 yards. My nightforce seems to be 4 click = 1.047 at 100 yards (as a higher quality scope should be).

If shooter is using 1 to represent no correction factor, is this based on 1.0 or 1.047?

I should have read your first post more closely. I understand what you are asking.

There was another thread on this here and I am almost positive someone verified it is true MOA but I can't find it. Also, as accurate and specific as this program is I would be highly surprised that the developer would use MOA if he meant IPHY especially since he mentions both MOA and IPHY in the manual.

If I find the thread I will post a link to it.

Scot E.

The factor is a factor! It has nothing to do with MOA's. It is a multiplication number that is used to correct the error in your scope turret adjustment.
If you scope is true then leave it at 1.0 .................. i.e 1 x 1.0 = 1

If your scope has some error in its turret adjustment then the factor needs to be a different number. Only you can determine what this number needs to be based on your observed turret movement over a known distance.
In your case the Nightforce scope would have a factor of 1.0 and the millet factor would be set at (maybe) 1.047. Better to check both scopes on a target set at 100 yards to confirm the turret adjustment. Don't just go by what the manufacturer says.

Now we are on the the same page! Stands to reason that no correction would mean 1.047 and 1.08 would be closer to iphy. Let me know if you find the link.. Thanks

Topshot, it can be error and/or the the scopes design. That is part of the beauty of this system. You can customize it for every scope you own. But 1.0 can mean a lot of things depending on the design of the software. I always verify each scopes true click value in the field at 100 yards.

Topshot, it can be error and/or the the scopes design. That is part of the beauty of this system. You can customize it for every scope you own. But 1.0 can mean a lot of things depending on the design of the software. I always verify each scopes true click value in the field at 100 yards.

No,
1.0 means only one thing. There is no correction.
If the scope is in MOA and your selected software output is in MOA then no correction is required. (so long as your turrets are accurate).

If you want to use a scope with iphy turrets then set your program output to iphy in the set up options. If your scope has true iphy adjustments then you will once again use 1.0 as your correction factor in the case.

Don't try and use two different systems and then try and "fix" a problem that doesn't exist with a correction factor. Just use the right options when you input the elevation and windage units for your particular scope in the firearm data section of the program.

The correction factor is for when the turret adjusment is not quite right as per its specifications.

No,
1.0 means only one thing. There is no correction.

I think his question is from which baseline does he judge if there is any correction to be made.

If it is true that by selecting MOA or IPHY in the setup section also applies to the correction factor then he will be good to go. If it doesn't, which is unlikely, then his question is very appropriate because one wouldn't know from what baseline to start.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.