Shoot it or throw away the brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by aaroncarp, May 30, 2015.

1. aaroncarp

aaroncarp Active Member

Okay, so i was reloading my 22-250 today and made a bit of a mistake. My current load is 55grn Nosler Varmigeddon with 36 grains of IMR 4064 at 2.385" OAL and CCI No. 200 primers, which is already pushing a maximum load. Anyways, I grabbed two packages of primers to load up 60 rounds and after I completed loading them I realized that the package I pulled 20 primers from was the CCI magnum primers. So I am wondering what you guys would do. I know the brass is nearing the end of its life so I'm not worried about ruining cases. I am more worried about damaging my gun if there is too much pressure. What should I do?

2. aaroncarp

aaroncarp Active Member

Also I have a deer hunting load that is hotter that shoots fine out of this gun with no pressure signs, that load is 6.2% hotter than the berger manual recommends and I have never had any issues. (obviously a bigger bullet 65 grns) This load is only 1.4% hotter than max load from the same manual.

3. waspocrew

waspocrew Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd stay on the safe side and pull the bullets, dump the powder and fire the primers.

Who knows, maybe it'd work out ok, but I'd rather be more cautious since you're already near max.

4. aaroncarp

aaroncarp Active Member

Thanks, that is what I decided to do, just primed 60 cases with the correct primers and pulled the bullets then reset them into the new cases. Just to make sure because I haven't ever done it, it is okay to just fire the primed cases from my gun? Or should I just load a lighter load into those cases and use them for plinking?

5. Rack

Rack Well-Known Member

Yes you can fire the primed cases in your rifle.

6. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

Just push the primers out with your deprimer die. No big deal at all.

7. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Yep, have done this dozens of times, I don't waste primers.
    As long as you go slow, the primers will come out without problems, put them aside for fouling rounds if you want, but I've rarely found a difference in group size using reseated primers.

Cheers.
    lightbulb

8. 16Bore

16Bore Well-Known Member

I've had a few that misfired. Maybe save them for dinking around loads.

9. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

I just deprime as usual and they fall into the collection jar on my co-ax. Primers are way to cheap and time and other components way to valuable to reuse a primer I had to push out.

10. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Why?
    If you think a primer is going to somehow waste other components, then why push them out in the first place?
    Why not just fire them in your rifle to get rid of them?
    My buddies do this, I don't, I reuse them, never had a misfire, EVER!!
    Powder is cheap, primers are NOT.

:rolleyes:

11. Catfur

Catfur Well-Known Member

Fire them, push them out, pull the bullet and develop a new magnum primer load... all valid options.

Powder cheap, primers not... now that's just not true. A large rifle magnum primer is $.03, while 36 grains of IMR 4064 is $.10 (all prices current at PVI).

12. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

Just shoot them, it won't make a bit of difference. They danged sure aren't going to make enough difference to damage your rifle.