Sig 300WM brass send it back or shoot it?

entoptics

I bought 150 Sig brass from Cabelas, and with free shipping and Club points it was $55...

Problem is, unlike almost all the reviews I saw before buying, the stuff I got appears to be pretty crappy.

1) The necks are beat to hell. Not a huge concern, as I'll obviously size and prep before loading, but I've never gotten brass that's this trashed from any other brand/caliber before.
IMG_4006.jpg

2) The weight spread is ENORMOUS. I got three bags of fifty, all from same lot #, and all three had over 7 grains of weight spread (that's roughly a grain of powder volume by my calcs). That's a 3% variance. Worse, after weighing them all and combining, the spread is fairly broadly distributed, so breaking them up into equal weight aliquots will be tough. For reference, I've been using MAI (Norma made) brass for a couple years, and it has an extreme spread of 3 grains, from 245 brass I weighed (I was bored).

Sig Histogram.jpg

MAI Histogram.jpg

3) I've developed loads using the aforementioned MAI which averages 216 gr. The Sig is averaging 254 grains. That's a whopping 40 gr of brass, which is roughly 5 gr of powder! Worried I'll never get the speeds I want from the Sig brass, or at best it will require starting from scratch with development.

4) The neck thickness varies by up to 0.002". Take that with a little grain of salt, as they're so beat up the measurements could be suspect. Don't wanna size any till I decide if I'm gonna return them. I neck turn usually, so that's not a deal breaker, and they do tend to be >0.0135", so there's room to shave some without ending up too thin.

At the price I paid, I could throw out half of them and it would still be cheap, but I'm sorta past worrying about cheap. I just want stuff to work. I bought the Sig stuff cause there were so many good reviews, it was in stock at Cabelas, and I had points to spend. Unfortunately, it appears Sig's legendary QC :rolleyes: has struck again...

What do you guys think? Send em back, or am I being too nitpicky?

Sig brass was initially made by ADG. I have some of that in 300wm. It was great then, and decent when sig first started to produce it. From what I've been hearing, the quality has gone down since. It's still a lot better that most out there, but I will be buying ADG when I finally chamber my new barrel.

I think you explained yourself very well , send it back !! That is unexceptable and I fear you will never be comfortable or confident using it! Cheap or not you can't get that time back on the loading table or the range! I hope Csbelas honors it and takes the return because it's not the same great company it use to be after the Bass Pro buyout. Good luck and keep us updated.

until you prep and fireform the brass and check case capacity not case weight, trim and give the necks a light cleanup you don't really know how they will perform.
take 10 of the lightest and 10 of heaviest prep and turn necks fireform then check capacity and then decide. that case weight is close to ADG brass you will have to back your powder down a little bit. Nosler pulled a marketing con job with this weight sorted BS and charged triple the price. for the price you payed shoot some and then decide

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.