Shipping game meat

Varmint Hunter

My buddies and I are considering booking another elk hunt in Wyoming. Being from NY we would rather NOT drive our SUVs and trailers as we have in the past. Thinking about flying in & out this time but we definitely want to get our meat back home again. I assume that we can have a butcher/shipper freeze, pack and ship our elk meat back.

Anyone have any experience doing this? What is the likely cost to ship?

An extra bag is usually $150.

bag #1 - clothes
bag#2 - rifle
bag #3 - meat +$150

I usually do meat in a soft cooler.

So, I do:
carry on personal item: computer case
carry on: meat cooler soft side
bag#1: clothes, gear
bag#2: rifle
bag#3….ahhh hell no not paying $150 for a deer

So, I cut my deer to get steaks in the cooler, maybe some breakfast sausage

Then I give the rest to the butcher for jerky….Jerky sends well by priority mail.

I would much rather do steaks, burgers, ribs, roasts, etc, but I like jerky so it works for now.

Last edited:
Wow,

I can see why people take the spoils of the hunt but can someone try describe Elk meat.

How does it rank among other American game meats?

I've eaten Goat and Fallow deer in Australia, Kangaroo and Rabbit, other Venison a mate hunted. . I've eaten some African game in South Africa.

Is Elk more prized than other common game meats? Whitetail, Deer, Bison?

Wow,

I can see why people take the spoils of the hunt but can someone try describe Elk meat.

How does it rank among other American game meats?

I've eaten Goat and Fallow deer in Australia, Kangaroo, and Rabbit, other Venison a mate hunted. . I've eaten some African game in South Africa.

Is Elk more prized than other common game meats? Whitetail, Deer, Bison?

Elk meat is very close to beef, at least the ones I harvested, prepped, and cooked. "I" honestly believe taste has a lot to do with what the wild game feeds on. For instance, deer or antelope that feed on sage are a lot gamier in taste than those that feed on alfalfa and wheat, but that's just me.

I think elk is a mix of deer and beef. Very lean meat. I agree it depends on what they eat. A mule deer in CA eating manzanita taste a lot different then one eating acorns or a white tale eating from corn fields in the Midwest states. Just like farm raised salmon taste different then a wild one from the ocean or river

Assuming that I have 200lbs of butchered elk it would not be to practical to fly it back with me. Hopefully, as a group, we'll have more than one elk to deal with. I'd rather just have it shipped frozen. Hasn't anyone on LRH done this?

Probably going to be smelly if it shows up now.
Did it have tracking? Surely they have to notify you if there was an issue like it going off in transit or a biosecurity issue. Add the value of the hunt or the meat it's not a small loss

What do airlines allow you to fly with though?

For example, can't you bring meat to fish freezing places in Alaska, where they essentially create a Styrofoam cooler for all your meat on the spot, and then fly that home with you? Isn't this a method people use.

So could you have that 200lbs frozen in a cooler and fly it back?

Maybe as two 100 lb coolers? $300... for two "bags" or are there limits here

Would actually seem very reasonable to me given I buy cheap roasts and cut my own steaks from them at the store, and the meat is still $6/lb.

At $300 to fly the 200lbs of meat back with you that would be $1.50/lb. Seems like a great deal.

Are things done like that?

Or do you really have to ship it back?

I like this discussion and would love it completely fleshed out. I've had meat shipped to me from small farms, like Wagyu beef, they generally ship it in a Styrofoam cooler and it has to be overnight or 2nd day air.

Cost for 200lbs would have the potential to be breathtaking...

Hoping to do Alaska trips in the future so I'm hoping this thread bears fruit.

I've heard of fresh seafood and other products going direct by air for wholesale even retail

Like @calling4life I am interested in how it works for individual s, particularly game meat taken in the field.

I have a vague recollection of reading some US residents took meat home from New Zealand.

I wonder if it's better to just take all the prime cuts in a checked bag or something.

Assuming that I have 200lbs of butchered elk it would not be to practical to fly it back with me. Hopefully, as a group, we'll have more than one elk to deal with. I'd rather just have it shipped frozen. Hasn't anyone on LRH done this?
It would be more practical to fly the meat back and ship your gear. Your gear won't spoil if it gets delayed.