Boned meat estimates

Those cows are TINY!!!

A SMALL ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK SPIKE 2-3 YEARS OLD IN EASTERN OREGON AMD EASTERN WASHINGTON OR EASTERN IDAHO WILL HAVE A LIVE WEIGHT OF 600-800 POUNDS.......

WEIGHED DOZENS OF THEM....

600LB SPIKE = 300LBS OF MEAT, LIVER, HEART AND NECK MEAT....MINIMUM

MEASURED IT DOZENS OF TIMES

ROOSEVELTS ON A BIG COW OR BIG BULL 8-12 YEARS OLD 600LBS OF MEAT LIVER WILL EXCEED 600LBS REGULARLY...

LARGEST WHOLE BIG ROOSEVELT COW I EVER SAW HUNG AND WEIGHTED WAS JUST SHY OF 1250LBS WHOLE MINUS GUTS.

SHE WAS OVER 750 LBS OF MEAT ON SAME SCALE SAME DAY....

I HAVE SEEN 4 BULLS THAT THE MEAT ALONE WAS OVER 100LBS PER PACK...

8 PACKS!!!

3 MILES UPHILL HIKE

12 MILES UPHILL BIKE RIDE

4 MILES DOWNHILL ON ATV

42 MILES GRAVEL ROAD

30? MILES PAVEMENT TO POWERS OREGON!!!

TOOK 14 BULLS OUTTA THAT HOLE IN 10 YEARS....

2 VARIATIONS (SUBSPECIES) OF ROOSEVELTS THERE.

RED WITH BROWN NECK AND MAINE THESE ARE BENCH LEGGED ELK

YELLOW WITH BLACK NECK AND MAINE
LONG LEGGED EASILY 6" TO 12" TALLER
SOME COWS HAD A SINGLE "UNICORN" SPIKE, SOME SPIKES HAD KUDU LIKE TWISTED HORNS....

RED AT RED WAY HARDWARE PIT US ON THESE ELK.... BEEN THERE SINCE 1880S WHEN HIS GRANDFATHER HOMESTEADED THERE....

LOVE SOUTHERN OREGON...

ROOSEVELT MONSTER BULLS HIDDEN IN HOLES UNDISTURBED WITH 7"-8" PEDICLES AND 9"+ DIAMETER HOOVES!!!!
I have been hunting big game since I was12 years old. My Dad and Uncles grew up in New Mexico and Colorado. They shot some HUGH deer and elk. They all agreed that 1/3rd or 30% would be usable meat no matter how massive the animal. Your a gifted Hunter to have harvested game that yielded 50% or greater in edible meat. I'm just an "Ole Jarhead"! But if you would have been in any of my Units, you would be a "Premier BSer"! SEMPER FEDELIS

Our Elk be must be bigger up here. The cow I shot last year weighed 443 pounds on the butchers scale, gutted, no head, legs off at the knees and skinned. Don't know what she weighed on the hoof. She was a good size cow but not exceptional. The Bulls run a bit bigger than that mature. We get them cut boneless/fatless into steaks and roasts. What can't be made into that goes into burger with 30% beef fat added. The meat came out at 275, cut and wrapped.

I have been hunting big game since I was12 years old. My Dad and Uncles grew up in New Mexico and Colorado. They shot some HUGH deer and elk. They all agreed that 1/3rd or 30% would be usable meat no matter how massive the animal. Your a gifted Hunter to have harvested game that yielded 50% or greater in edible meat. I'm just an "Ole Jarhead"! But if you would have been in any of my Units, you would be a "Premier BSer"! SEMPER FEDELIS

Ooorah, Semper Fi

Those cows are TINY!!!

A SMALL ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK SPIKE 2-3 YEARS OLD IN EASTERN OREGON AMD EASTERN WASHINGTON OR EASTERN IDAHO WILL HAVE A LIVE WEIGHT OF 600-800 POUNDS.......

WEIGHED DOZENS OF THEM....

600LB SPIKE = 300LBS OF MEAT, LIVER, HEART AND NECK MEAT....MINIMUM

MEASURED IT DOZENS OF TIMES

ROOSEVELTS ON A BIG COW OR BIG BULL 8-12 YEARS OLD 600LBS OF MEAT LIVER WILL EXCEED 600LBS REGULARLY...

LARGEST WHOLE BIG ROOSEVELT COW I EVER SAW HUNG AND WEIGHTED WAS JUST SHY OF 1250LBS WHOLE MINUS GUTS.

SHE WAS OVER 750 LBS OF MEAT ON SAME SCALE SAME DAY....

I HAVE SEEN 4 BULLS THAT THE MEAT ALONE WAS OVER 100LBS PER PACK...

8 PACKS!!!

3 MILES UPHILL HIKE

12 MILES UPHILL BIKE RIDE

4 MILES DOWNHILL ON ATV

42 MILES GRAVEL ROAD

30? MILES PAVEMENT TO POWERS OREGON!!!

TOOK 14 BULLS OUTTA THAT HOLE IN 10 YEARS....

2 VARIATIONS (SUBSPECIES) OF ROOSEVELTS THERE.

RED WITH BROWN NECK AND MAINE THESE ARE BENCH LEGGED ELK

YELLOW WITH BLACK NECK AND MAINE
LONG LEGGED EASILY 6" TO 12" TALLER
SOME COWS HAD A SINGLE "UNICORN" SPIKE, SOME SPIKES HAD KUDU LIKE TWISTED HORNS....

RED AT RED WAY HARDWARE PIT US ON THESE ELK.... BEEN THERE SINCE 1880S WHEN HIS GRANDFATHER HOMESTEADED THERE....

LOVE SOUTHERN OREGON...

ROOSEVELT MONSTER BULLS HIDDEN IN HOLES UNDISTURBED WITH 7"-8" PEDICLES AND 9"+ DIAMETER HOOVES!!!!

Well, that was a mouthful. LOL

We will be taking as much of the trimmings allowed since we make jerky and the grinder has no problems with the front sinewy legs. We will take rib meat and the sheety type meat on the ribs if the guide lets us. We were told no ribs if near dark since we will be in grizz country. Just wanted to make sure on coolers if we all get lucky. When I hunted Quebec caribou I tagged out on two but it was thanksgiving week and there was still some snow in the plain old rubbermaid totes I used when I got home. Ribs were left behind since we needed a toboggan to get them out. In some places snow to your knees.

For sure, someone mentioned 1000 pound elk (Mt elk) according to the FWP web site the largest one weighed is 1010...........course some of the one's I've toted back to the truck sure seemed like 1K by the time I got there

Personally NEVER seen a 1000lb rocky mountain elk east of pendleton Oregon.

The ones I saw east of cascades in Washington and Oregon were almost certainly displace Rosie's interbred with roosevelts....

Most common east of mt hood and st Helen's after 1980

Couple herds actually swam Columbia and walked across the highway bridges over the river!!!! By 1982 elk population on the res east of mt hood TRIPLED!!!

Well our trip is completed but with no elk meat to come home. By lunch time each day we were down to T-shirts. First 2 days they were bugling but would not come out of dark timber. Next 2 days no bugling at all. last afternoon of hunt they started to bugle again. 2 out of 5 hunters got their elk. But overall satisfied with Martin Outfitters. From the looks of things 2 big coolers are needed for an average size bull. 3 Hunters,gear and coolers basically call for an 8 foot box on a pickup truck if you are not running a cap. We had a trailer hitch carrier which helped out a lot.

3 of us are heading to Wyoming in 2 weeks. Hoping for the best. Will be southeast of Yellowstone. We will not be looking for trophys just legal elk. Any good estimates of how much boned out meat from an average size elk ? Wondering what we should take in the way of coolers.
Don't forget the neck meat. I see it left 9 out of 10 times. Some of the best meat on the elk. It's worth the effort.

When it comes to driving butchered meat home, say 3 days away, we figured one year on two large coolers. That turned out not to be enough. We ended up going to Lowes and buying sheets of expanded foam and building out own ice chest in the back of the pickup. 2" thick foam, all taped together. Then we filled that with hard-frozen elk meat, then put dry ice blocks on top of everything before closing it up. Arrived home two days later with meat still frozen solid.
3 of us are heading to Wyoming in 2 weeks. Hoping for the best. Will be southeast of Yellowstone. We will not be looking for trophys just legal elk. Any good estimates of how much boned out meat from an average size elk ? Wondering what we should take in the way of coolers.
I always took 4-100 quart coolers. Leave plenty of room for ice. A big bull and Mt Lion fit in these 2-100 quart coolers 1-60quart and 1-40quart. Got cold enough before leaving NM the meat froze good so I didn't need a lot of ice for the 27 hour drive.

Attachments

• 420AA321-7108-40A9-BB8B-BA9BC22477D6.jpeg
    420AA321-7108-40A9-BB8B-BA9BC22477D6.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.