Getting meat home

I prefer dry ice and have found that welding supply stores like Praxair and Airgas carry it for some reason. It is usually in bulk chips and much cheaper than the grocery stores. I also found out that druggies use the dry ice when they concentrate marijuana into an oil or wax, something with running butane thru it and getting the THC oil concentrated...and of course the occasional explosion and burning of said druggie. The guy at my Parxair has been there ~20 years and finally learned why they were always sold out of dry ice.

If i am traveling along ways, I prefer the freezer and generator. When i would stop for the night, i would plug it into an outlet. once its about froze, no need to run the generator during the day.....worse case your meet is frozen in game bags. I came home from northern BC with a quartered moose, mountain goat and half an elk....did not loose any meat to spoilage in the 3 days to get home...

CWD
Remember that most states will not allow cervid animals across state lines that have not been deboned.
My Utah elk last year was reduced significantly in size. And I had been really looking forward to trying osso bucco with the legs, too.

I've heard that water frozen in milk jugs keeps the drain problem more manageable. And you can drink the water if you run low. I've tried this and like the results better than bags of ice.
This is what I have started doing, 6 frozen Milk jugs last for 4 days no need to drain the cool box.
Just don't fill to the Milk jugs to the top when you put them in the freezer.

I have a freezer that I put in the back of my truck to put quarters in. Run it till they are cold but not frozen and the new unplug it till the temp comes up again. I use a portable generator in the bed of the truck

We use a 150gt igloo cooler traveling to TN. I bought and cut these (Link->) Vented tiles
to the cooler bottom so the meat wouldn't act as a dam and block melted ice water from draining, they work great. I put a 2x4 under the cooler to help it drain.

Dry Ice is great if you can find it, just don't put it directly on the meat (burn) use card board or something like it.

Also until your meat cools to the low temps, you will use more ice the first several hours. Buy more ice as needed.

We use a 150gt igloo cooler traveling to TN. I bought and cut these (Link->) Vented tiles
to the cooler bottom so the meat wouldn't act as a dam and block melted ice water from draining, they work great. I put a 2x4 under the cooler to help it drain.
Your link didn't come through. What did you use in the bottom of your cooler?
I was thinking of modifying some wire shelf rack material.

Your link didn't come through. What did you use in the bottom of your cooler?
I was thinking of modifying some wire shelf rack material.

Try clicking on the words "Vented tiles".

If that does not work let me know.

I should have BOLDED the link. Maybe I can fix it.....nope to late to edit it now.

yep - link worked for me, but the text is so similar to the message text that I wouldn't have even clicked on it, without the (Link->) hint

yep - link worked for me, but the text is so similar to the message text that I wouldn't have even clicked on it, without the (Link->) hint
Thank you.... I agree, I wish the editor would do it automatically.

What I like about this stuff is that is it tuff, low profile, it will not rust or scratch the cooler. On the down side it is not the cheapest.