Packing meat out

Just did 1hr 36min walk and I'm out the door to work :) . I have the desire and the rest will work out. Where there is a will there is a way. Thanks for your confidence Crowhorse67 !

I just wish it was this year I was planning for instead of '13. I think I said it earlier , this is the first time since my son was born that I have let myself get a fever to do something like this. I get to chase my dreams again.

I am planning to try my first hunt for elk in 2013. I have started planning and gathering equipment for a solo DIY backpack hunt in the Flat Tops wilderness area. I'll be 45 years old then and I'm worried about packing an elk out 5 to10 miles before it spoils. I am wondering if there are meat pack out services in the area and the usual and customary charge for this. I don't need me and my camp packed in, just the meat and hopefully some horns.:) I see there is a good herd in the area and almost no private land for them to run to. I know the chance of seeing a large bull is slim to none ( slim is out of town ) but thats fine. A chance for a cow would be what I look for. As this is the first time, I'm there to get an education. Plan to be there two weeks before and stay until I tag out or the end of second season. I don't have a bunch of money and other than good advice I want to do it on my own. I know I can hunt and be alone for long stretches , the only thing I can't work out in my mind is getting the meat out of BFE in time. I'm in Florida and can't prepare for high altitude so I'm leaving time to get adjusted and know I will have to go slow.

I am 45 years old myself , my old man 68 .we hunted FLAT TOPS LAST YEAR .2 RIFLE HUNT .We rented horses and camped ,we have done it both ways hike hunt and horseback .horse back is the way.SOMBRERO is where we got the horses ,they took the horses to the trail head east marvin.if you can get horses that is the way to go .we will be back again this year (FLAT TOPS )
2 ND rifle hunt unles we can get a leftover TAG. for the first rifle hunt .
You are more than welcome to join our camp,we are coming from SC.
SOMBRERO will also pack out you kill for you. you can find out more on their web site

I am planning to try my first hunt for elk in 2013. I have started planning and gathering equipment for a solo DIY backpack hunt in the Flat Tops wilderness area. I'll be 45 years old then and I'm worried about packing an elk out 5 to10 miles before it spoils. I am wondering if there are meat pack out services in the area and the usual and customary charge for this. I don't need me and my camp packed in, just the meat and hopefully some horns.:) I see there is a good herd in the area and almost no private land for them to run to. I know the chance of seeing a large bull is slim to none ( slim is out of town ) but thats fine. A chance for a cow would be what I look for. As this is the first time, I'm there to get an education. Plan to be there two weeks before and stay until I tag out or the end of second season. I don't have a bunch of money and other than good advice I want to do it on my own. I know I can hunt and be alone for long stretches , the only thing I can't work out in my mind is getting the meat out of BFE in time. I'm in Florida and can't prepare for high altitude so I'm leaving time to get adjusted and know I will have to go slow.
Salt it, wrap it in cheese cloth.

What you can't get out on the first load either hang in a tree in good shade (if it's cool enough) or try to find a dry creek bed that is well shaded and bury it there.

You get down a couple of feet and it will be refrigerator cool. Wrap the already salted and cheese cloth wrapped meat in a tarp and bury.

This will also go a long ways towards keeping the carrion eaters for getting it as the smell of decay won't be present once it's salted.

Be sure you are at least a few hundred yards away from the carcass before doing so though as the carrion eaters will be less concentrated in the area.

This is such a great thread!! I too am planning a 2013 elk hunt, my first one ever. I'm currently reading "Backcountry Bowhunting, A Guide to the Wild Side" by Cameron Hanes. This book is so inspirational, filled with great information and this thread fits right into it. I'm also planning a backpack DIY hunt. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a bow or rifle, and trying to narrow down what state I want to go to. Either way, I'm so excited!!! This will be the longest year of preperation!

Right now I'm in Afghanistan. I have my Eberlestock X1 filled with a huge, heavy sand bag and I'm carrying it a mile each way to work and walking up and down our 50 ft tower. I'm also running and lifting....all in preperation for my first elk hunt! I can't wait to hit the woods and I really appreciate everyone's input and knowledge! Threads like this keep me focused and fired up! I'm sure I'll be asking some of my own questions as time gets closer.

Thanks,

Curtis

This is such a great thread!! I too am planning a 2013 elk hunt, my first one ever. I'm currently reading "Backcountry Bowhunting, A Guide to the Wild Side" by Cameron Hanes. This book is so inspirational, filled with great information and this thread fits right into it. I'm also planning a backpack DIY hunt. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a bow or rifle, and trying to narrow down what state I want to go to. Either way, I'm so excited!!! This will be the longest year of preperation!

Right now I'm in Afghanistan. I have my Eberlestock X1 filled with a huge, heavy sand bag and I'm carrying it a mile each way to work and walking up and down our 50 ft tower. I'm also running and lifting....all in preperation for my first elk hunt! I can't wait to hit the woods and I really appreciate everyone's input and knowledge! Threads like this keep me focused and fired up! I'm sure I'll be asking some of my own questions as time gets closer.

Thanks,

Curtis
Curtis that is great to hear . I've not posted much but I too am hard at work on it. I picked up a rifle for the hunt that I'm working on and I am watching a couple of forums for a deal on the pack I want. Had bad chest cold for the last three weeks and missed working out but got back at it Friday evening. Be safe and good luck to you.

So what rifle did you choose for your hunt? Sorry to hear about your cold but the good thing is... we have lots of time to recover! LOL Wait a minute...this isn't a good thing. I wish I was hunting this year!

I picked up a wincherster model 70 push feed in 7mm wsm. I got it for $250 with a broken stock and missing mag spring and follower. I have found all the parts I needed and did a trigger job on it. Going to bed it sometime soon but I am working on my deer club and friends rifles and loading their ammo right now. I may just sell that rifle without fireing it and get a ss crf m70 in 7mm wsm.

The 280AI is a great round too. I may keep the 7mm wsm I have but I'm a SS gun man and the one I have is mat black. Its like a small pebble in my boot that I can't decide if I want to stop and get out or just live with it.

Not long ago I picked up a Rem 700 .270 that I intended to build the .280AI out of. Then I thought....well maybe I'll shoot this thing a bit, just to see. DANG IT! The thing shoots inside of 3/4" all day long and doesn't care what you feed it. So I bedded it, put a decent piece of glass on it and now it resides in my safe. As luck would have it I then stumbled upon a SS 700 in an '06 which is even better for what I started to do in the first place.:D

Not long ago I picked up a Rem 700 .270 that I intended to build the .280AI out of. Then I thought....well maybe I'll shoot this thing a bit, just to see. DANG IT! The thing shoots inside of 3/4" all day long and doesn't care what you feed it. So I bedded it, put a decent piece of glass on it and now it resides in my safe. As luck would have it I then stumbled upon a SS 700 in an '06 which is even better for what I started to do in the first place.:D

The part about just sell it without shooting it is to avoid the problem of " it shoots too good to sell":)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.