Sherman Wildcat Reloading Data is Here!!!

I have put together data from the many shooters that emailed/PM'd me. Here is what I have so far but I am still asking for more data to be PM'd to me so I can continue to add to this.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this.
As always this data is for specific rifles and should be worked up to find what is safe in your rifle.
Thanks for doing this! I can't see the data anywhere though? Did you remove it? My email is: [email protected]

I have put together data from the many shooters that emailed/PM'd me. Here is what I have so far but I am still asking for more data to be PM'd to me so I can continue to add to this.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this.
As always this data is for specific rifles and should be worked up to find what is safe in your rifle.
Where is the data?

When starting a load for a 270 SS, would the starting point of load data from a 270 WSM be a good place? I shot my new 270 SS today loaded a 150 Nosler ABLR over 55 grains of Varget and got crazy pressure to the point the primer blew out of the pocket. Any idea of a starting point for Varget, H4350, H1000, Retumbo, or Magnum would be appreciated.

When starting a load for a 270 SS, would the starting point of load data from a 270 WSM be a good place? I shot my new 270 SS today loaded a 150 Nosler ABLR over 55 grains of Varget and got crazy pressure to the point the primer blew out of the pocket. Any idea of a starting point for Varget, H4350, H1000, Retumbo, or Magnum would be appreciated.
ya, not surprised! Thats a lot of Varget for that combo!
Id load about 50 grains of 4350 for break in.

ya, not surprised! Thats a lot of Varget for that combo!
Id load about 50 grains of 4350 for break in.
Thanks Rich. Do you happen to know out of those powders I mentioned will yield the best velocity? Going off of 270 WSM, it looks like Ramshot Magnum might be good.

.270WSM has quite a bit MORE case capacity than a .270SS. Do NOT use WSM load data for an SS case.

You are lucky. You should have asked before you started load testing. Do you have much experience hand loading?

Also, did you look at the actual Sherman load data before you started?
Screenshot_20220615-201855_Samsung Notes.jpg

I would be looking to H1000 myself. RL23 or N565 would be my next choices. In my 6.5SSs, I start around 56.0gr H1000 under a 140, 150, or 156. In my 7SS, I started at 57.0gr with a 184.

You really need to tread carefully.

.270WSM has quite a bit MORE case capacity than a .270SS. Do NOT use WSM load data for an SS case.

You are lucky. You should have asked before you started load testing. Do you have much experience hand loading?

Also, did you look at the actual Sherman load data before you started?
View attachment 372285
I would be looking to H1000 myself. RL23 or N565 would be my next choices. In my 6.5SSs, I start around 56.0gr H1000 under a 140, 150, or 156. In my 7SS, I started at 57.0gr with a 184.

You really need to tread carefully.
I have been hand loading for 3 years, I wouldn't say I am overly experienced. I have loaded for my 338 SS and my 7mm SS with great success. I figured if others had good experience with Varget in 338 SS (62 grains), I could start lower with a 270 ss, obviously that is not the case.

I pulled all the other loads with Varget tonight and will load with H4350 or H1000 and see what I can get. Will report back once I get back from the range tomorrow. Glad it didnt turn out catastrophic as it could have.

I have been hand loading for 3 years, I wouldn't say I am overly experienced. I have loaded for my 338 SS and my 7mm SS with great success. I figured if others had good experience with Varget in 338 SS (62 grains), I could start lower with a 270 ss, obviously that is not the case.

I pulled all the other loads with Varget tonight and will load with H4350 or H1000 and see what I can get. Will report back once I get back from the range tomorrow. Glad it didnt turn out catastrophic as it could have.
Ya, larger bore diameters with the same case lend themselves well to faster powders, you can't use the same powders with such a large difference in bore size. A 338-06 will use a completely different burn rate of powders than a 25-06, the 338-06 your looking at varget type burn rates, the 25-06 likes more h1000/retumbo burn rates. Bore diameter makes a massive difference because it allows the pressure to escape with different rates.

Ya, larger bore diameters with the same case lend themselves well to faster powders, you can't use the same powders with such a large difference in bore size. A 338-06 will use a completely different burn rate of powders than a 25-06, the 338-06 your looking at varget type burn rates, the 25-06 likes more h1000/retumbo burn rates. Bore diameter makes a massive difference because it allows the pressure to escape with different rates.
Cody- thank you for your insight. Extremely helpful and I appreciate the comparison between a 338-06 vs a 25-06.

Well, I got up to 2788 FPS using 62 grains of H1000 out of my 20" barrel. Definitely not the speed I was looking for. I have a good load with my 7mm SS using 61 grains of H4831sc with a 169 Hammer Hunter. I might try using that powder and see what gives 🤷🏽‍♂️

Recent Posts