SHERMAN MEGA LINE

I can run a 300 wsm over 3000 with a 215 and RL26. But it doesn't shoot anywhere near that. 2930 with RL26, and 2875 with RL23&H4831sc. I think less objection would happen if the accuracy speeds were listed. Not the beyond max speeds to draw attention.
Ok, I can see that. Ive stated though that thats what I think that Max is it would run at and useable loads for accuracy are normally lower. That allows everyone to know what the very upper limit is in my rifle and they can work up accordingly.
Different rifles have different nodes.
I dont see anything wrong with that!
There are a few people who consistently jump on everything I say with far less info than I have on my own stuff.
To me, thats not going to go well!
At least wait until they have some data to prove otherwise. Im ESTIMATING that the 195 will run safely in my rifle up to 3050 and I'm standing by that. I could be wrong and I'll post what I find. I also will have other independent people posting as they build so if it doesn't, Im sure the gotcha boys will know.
Im saying 195 ahead of N570 just so everyone is clear ahead of time.

Last edited:
WHOA! Whoa. I believe Rich is simply stating those high velocities might be possible but not the norm. If they are achieved, your brass will probably be toast in less than a handful of firings. But possible? Perhaps. Rfurman is pointing out that it's dangerous to not put those claims in context because some novice loaders may pursue that speed not knowing the danger signs of what they are doing. Nobody is wrong here guys. Much respect to Rich and Ryan both

And remember, accuracy trumps all. Doesn't matter how fast your bullet is if it doesn't connect. So 3,100 might happen but I'd bet it'll produce shotgun patterns at range
Sums it up pretty well. Nobody said it WOULD make that performance but sure is interesting that its a possibility but YES, accuracy is what counts.

Last edited:
I usually post the top speed with the best powder to get there with and also recommend that that is not the best place to run it. I, and most others normally run 50-100' below that. The end result is people get more performance than a comparable capacity with lower pressure and better barrel life.
Thx for reminding folks!
Exactly what most should figure. Some do not. When you said 3050-3100, that means accuracy probably will be in the 3000 fps range and with luck, better than that. 40 years of reloading people usually learn something. If nothing else, I've learned how to stay safe doing this. It's just interesting to see the numbers(OAL, Volume and possible velocity). Most reloaders look at that as exciting and another cartridge to consider while others only find reasons to diminish the possibility of it actually performing to an expectation. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm intrigued enough that I'll watch along.

I think the Sherman line of cartridges stand up well enough on their own merits. The trouble is when loyalists, with good intentions, start to pad the numbers to make them look even better. If I had a Tikka action sitting around and wanted to put it to good use, the Sherman Mega would be a worthwhile consideration. It would never be 300 PRC/30 Nosler/300 Win Mag, but it would still perform well. Some folks just need to push the limits of safety and common sense. That's fine as long as that information is shared around people who can either identify when the numbers don't add up, or know that the performance presented is at the very edge of sanity.

RIfle cartridges always remind me of trucks. You'll see an ad that a new F150 has a towing capacity of 13,000#, so a guy will think that he's good to pull a 13K trailer like it's nothing. And there's no doubt that the truck is capable of pulling that load when all the right parameters are met. That doesn't make it a good idea to do that all the time or without taking all the appropriate steps to ensure it's safe (tire quality and pressure, verifying true GVRW, weight distributing hitch, trailer brakes). At a certain point, it just makes sense to move up to a higher capacity tow rig. It's the same with rifle cartridges. There are always going to be those shooters who're comfortable working at the upper limits of the platform, but sometimes it just makes sense to move up to a larger capacity case.

I have to say I feel sorry for Rich, not a reamer ground or round fired and 7 pages of this. Rich I don't have one of your cartridges but I do enjoy reading about them and there progress but that will be tough on this tread I hope you start a new one in the future

I have to say I feel sorry for Rich, not a reamer ground or round fired and 7 pages of this. Rich I don't have one of your cartridges but I do enjoy reading about them and there progress but that will be tough on this tread I hope you start a new one in the future
Me either but looking forward to my 30 Sherman magnum build.

Here's the probelm that has been developing the past couple years with Rich.....he is coming out with new offerings faster than my bank account can keep up with. I just started gathering parts for a 338 Max.....but may have to wait for the Mega.