Shawn's long range black bear

The bear in the video we just spotted by glassing the berry patches in the canyons. Baiting works the best in the spring for me. I don't call them often. Baiting is a better long range opportunity.

having long range hunted for bear in pa. for many years, i can certainly appriciate shawns shot. i didnt see the video. but i know from experience, bear dont stand around and let you shoot at them like a deer will. its a 1 and done situation. they usually dont stop untill their out of sight, if you blow it on the first shot.

Shawn's shot is great! In the video the bear is a little hard to see, just looks like a small blob moving through the holes. Shawn, someday I'll have to get together with you and show you a great camera set up for long range that's rather simple and inexpensive. I've got woodchucks on film beyond 1,000 yards that you can see plain as day if the mirage isn't too bad. I can zoom in on a deers head at around 500 yards and get nothing but his head on the screen, and it's pretty clear as long as conditions are favorable, no digital zoom all optical. When I can get some time to work the bugs out of my editing software I'll post a bear we shot at around 550 yards. Our camp has killed numerous bears long range right here in PA from 500 yards to a 1525 yard kill. As Ernie said the hard part is getting them to stand still to get the shot and then you'll usually only get 1 one at that, it better count.

Kevin,

It is unfortunate the video compression for utube has been death on long range quality. I have also recently switched software so I end up with uncompressed finished product. I also upgraded to a Sony Professional grade cam since the Black Bear shot. I'd be interested to see your setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.