SFP - how much magnification is too much?

njc89

I have a couple Leupold VX6's in 3-18. The SFP scopes generally seemed fine to me as I didn't figure I would need to hold over or dial on an animal unless it was far enough away to warrant the higher magnification anyway. I always figured that 18 power was about as high as I would want to go with the second focal plane reticle, as there are just some days that heat waves get overwhelming - particularly in the summer at the range. Of course, higher magnification also reduces light through the scope and eye relief. I worry that a low light shot at high magnification may unnecessarily limit me.

I admit that a little more magnification would be nice when looking at a deer cross-canyon. I have been eyeing a new Zeiss in 6-24 Or 5-30 to go with my 28 nosler. I like their reticles and quality, but they are both still SFP models. With that magnification range will I be wishing that I sprung for a FFP scope? Am I over thinking this? I would be interested in others' perspectives on this.
thanks
Neal

I don't think FFP vs. SFP will make a difference in the heat waves . I run a SFP 8-32 NXS , when the mirage is bad I turn the power down . I shoot with guys that use FFP , when the mirage is bad they turn the power down . I think the advantage to a FFP scope , over a SFP is the FFP reticle is true at any power setting . the SFP reticle is true at one power setting , it's not always max power .

I don't think FFP vs. SFP will make a difference in the heat waves . I run a SFP 8-32 NXS , when the mirage is bad I turn the power down . I shoot with guys that use FFP , when the mirage is bad they turn the power down . I think the advantage to a FFP scope , over a SFP is the FFP reticle is true at any power setting . the SFP reticle is true at one power setting , it's not always max power .
I didn't mean to imply that ffp would handle mirage any differently, except having the ability to turn down the power (exactly as you describe) and have the reticle subtensions still be useful. I guess if you're dialing, it wouldn't matter too much other than the windage marks also being off a bit. Thanks for the reply.

I like to shoot around 10x out to about 500 yrds beyond that I will go up to max if it helps. I have a 32x on one rifle but I do crank it up to look deer over occasionally but usually dial down to shoot. I think max hunting is around 18-22 so I say you are good. All my scopes are SFP

Thanks

Buck

I'm contemplating the same thing on FFP.
I think my next on will be a FFP.
As far as power im in the opinion for anything over 500 I want 18-20 minimum.
I would rather be able to turn it down if need be than not have enough when I need it.
Another thing I believe in " aim small shoot small"

What all the previous post have said. That high power for me is only good when wanting to see the quality of an animal provided adequate light is available and mirage is not too bad. My highest powered scope is a NF NX8 4-32 in FFP. My other scopes are 3-18

I have scopes that go to 25x.I have never used that high to shoot game.Most ive used is about 22 range.I figure maybe higher if it where a varmint set up,been ffp for a long time now.Its harder to aquire for follow up shot on higher or if brush trees,looks to similar.My 338 NM takes me off target some times.I shot a sitting coyote at 575w/223 on 20x.Also a sitting bear at 700 and that scope maxed at 14x

10 years ago there were members here who would want to fight if a fellow suggested needing more than 10x to shoot 1000y. My eyes were never that good. I guess those fellows had better vision than me. Like most all of you, I like having more than enough and turning it down. One of my good friends won an FTR state championship years ago. He told me he never turned his night force over 20x. I guess everyone is different about what they need in that aspect.

Good glass trumps high magnification. I would take an Alpha glass 15x over a mediocre 30x all day long. Mirage is not always a bad thing if you know how to read it. You still have as much mirage at 10x as you do at 25x, you just can't see the effects as much because you are at 10x.

My scopes are as follows:
6 @ 3-15×50
2 @ 3-20×50
2 @ 4-20×50
1 @ 5-20×50
1 @ 5-25×56

Last edited:
Good glass trumps high magnification. I would take an Alpha glass 15x over a mediocre 30x all day long. Mirage is not always a bad thing of you know how to read it. You still have as much mirage at 10x as you do at 25x, you just can't see the effects as much because you are at 10x.

6 @ 3-15×50
2 @ 3-20×50
2 @ 4-20×50
1 @ 5-20×50
1 @ 5-25×56
I agree Lance i want both.

For me I don't like SFP over about 14-16X max power. A 5-25 or higher it seems like many times your in about that 14x-20x range and it's nice to have usable subtensions. I personally wouldn't want a 25x or 30x max power scope in SFP but that's just me.

Good glass trumps high magnification. I would take an Alpha glass 15x over a mediocre 30x all day long. Mirage is not always a bad thing of you know how to read it. You still have as much mirage at 10x as you do at 25x, you just can't see the effects as much because you are at 10x.

6 @ 3-15×50
2 @ 3-20×50
2 @ 4-20×50
1 @ 5-20×50
1 @ 5-25×56
I know a few guys who are really good with the wind. One fellow in particular is the best I personally know. He likes being able to see Mirage.