How much magnification for a spotting scope?

my82cam

I am trying to pick out a spotting scope, I'm looking at a leupold sx-1 15-45 compact(about $280 on ebay) or a vortex diamondback 20-60(about 400 on ebay). I know these are cheaper spotting scopes but I am trying to spend less than $450 on one. It will get used at the range and keep in my back pack for an elk or muley hunting. Is the 45 power enough? will 60 power even get used on a hunt in real world conditions? If someone else knows of another brand that is in that price range, I'm open to suggestions!

Ok I'm going to take a stab at this and please remember this is my opinion. Hopefully people with more knowledge will also chime in. I believe in a less expensive spotting scope you will find that 45 power will not be usable most of the time. Will be lucky to find days when 30 power will be usable. On the higher end scopes the entire range of the scope will be usable. 60 power is the highest I've been around and have found that it works pretty good a good share of the time. Now I'm not saying that every day out you can use the 60 power. I know I've been there and purchased the less expensive items because that"s what I could afford and in no way am I saying that now I can afford the best there is, but in my humble opinion when it comes to glass always try and strectch your budget as much as possible, because most of the time you are going to get what you pay for. Good luck and have a nice day.

I have 3 NF scopes and a 4th on the way to replace a Zeiss. I like high end glass and it's hard to think about buying cheap glass, but I just can't seem to find it in me to spend 1,000 on a spotting scope that wont get used very much. Anyone have any first hand with a 45x vs a 60x?

The only real use I've got for 60x the in my Swarovski, has been looking at the moon, planets, and stars. Clear, cold Wyoming night at about 8000'.

I had the same mentality as you with spending $1000+ on a spotting scope I wouldn't use much. Until last year when I bought a Vortex viper HD 15-45x65mm for a spot and stalk mule deer hunt.My buddy I went with had a leupold 15-30x50mm and a swarovski can't remember what Model/power . What I do rememeber is how much nicer the swaro was.I feel the vortex was nicer than the Leupold mostly because it was 65mm with more light gathering capability.
I looked thru my vortex at least 4 hours a day for a week on that trip on animals anywhere from 200 yards to 2000 yards I would say most of the animals were between 800 and 1500 yards. Very seldom did I turn it all the way up to 45 power I found it hard to look thru at full magnification. There were times when the sun was right and the mirage wasn't bad and when it wasn't so windy that I could zoom it in and the scope was quite clear.
So I would say unless you have really high end glass the 60X would not be needed.
I found the 45x to be more than enough.
I would say my vortex is a good spotter for at the range and works okay for hunting but told myself on that trip my next purchase before I go on a hunt like that again will be a high end spotting scope.

Take the $400 and stick it in your pocket IMHO. Bad glass at HIGH POWER is a disaster. The Vortex Viper HD line is livable but on spotters glass quality is so very important. If $$$ is an issue, buy less mag and higher quality. Many days the ,mirage will murder you on 60x anyway. I will buy cheap toilet paper, condoms, food and brake shoes for my wifes car, but not a spotter.

I just got a swaro sts 20-60x80. With the crisp cold weather we have now the image at 60 power is fantastic. I've looked through several other spotters that were done at 40x or less. My advise is save up and buy the best glass you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts