SERIOUS DELEMA To SHOOT or WATCH

Had an old gent back in central PA in the '60s who would take every young'un I shot. His mouth would start waterin' the minute I showed up in his driveway.

When I was young, people ate groundhogs. We did, and tasted kind of like roast beef. Nothing wrong with them, as just another squirrel. when I was dating my wife, had cooked one up, and told her it was a stray cat. But she ate it and said it was good. If folks not eating them either persnickety or don't know any better. If you eat squirrels and wild rabbit, you should be eating groundhogs. Here's a picture of the wife, before she was. Sako 243, and a couple of whistle pigs.
Joan & groundhogs July 1968.jpg

We don't have groundhogs here in north Louisiana but tell me if anyone has eaten one before.
My dad was born in 1912 and was raised in the wilds of Wisconsin. He told me many stories of eating woodchuck. I wouldn't hesitate eating one either. Reminds me of a story I heard. Seems this guy got busted by fish and game in northern Washington state for killing a spotted owl. In court he gave a sob story of how his family was starving and that's why he shot it. The judge had pity on him and dismissed the charges. Before the man left, the judge called him over and asked him candidly, "What does a spotted owl taste like?" The guy said, "Well your honor, kinda half way between a condor and a bald eagle"!!! Go Figure!!!

I chased after an almost coal black ground hog for two summers several years back never seen that sucker when I had the gun not once.
As far as eating groundhogs young ones are delightful. But also I enjoy eating muskrat to. Taste almost exactly like venison just smaller. There used to be an ol man lived up from my great uncle he ate anything he could kill or catch he said to us one day " the only thing the good lord has let me put in a pot that wasn't edible was a red headed wood pecker , the longer he cooked the tougher it got"

I had sage grouse that was tougher and stronger tasting than sagebrush. I found the best way to cook them was to cover them in buttermilk let them set overnight in the fridge, then throw the bird away heat up the buttermilk and drink.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.