SERIOUS DELEMA To SHOOT or WATCH

Maybe wait till the fall when her coat is thicker to make a better mount? We don't have them around here so I don't know when they decide to stay down for the winter

Evening fellas. I'm all screwed up at this very moment. I've been WATCHING a WHITE GROUNDHOG here in PENNSYLVANIA for the last 3 years.. l NEVER even snapped 1 her way. Always HEARD its BAD LUCK & A CURSE to shoot a White animal. However, this year I noticed she was FAT FULL OF BABIES. I said all spring if she has her pups and any are WHITE I'm taking her & doing a FULL STAND UP BODY MOUNT.. Well today is Satirday, Thursday & again yesterday I saw her & the pups. There are 2 White ones. Well its 6:17pm Eastern time here in PA this fine Saturday evening. I'm all set up 225 yards across the field from her den mound. Im prone under a tree right at the edge of the field. Should I SHOOT? Im really struggling here fellas! What would you fellas do? Im 99% sure I'll take her as soon as shes out & stands up.
Theosmithjr

Evening fellas. I'm all screwed up at this very moment. I've been WATCHING a WHITE GROUNDHOG here in PENNSYLVANIA for the last 3 years.. l NEVER even snapped 1 her way. Always HEARD its BAD LUCK & A CURSE to shoot a White animal. However, this year I noticed she was FAT FULL OF BABIES. I said all spring if she has her pups and any are WHITE I'm taking her & doing a FULL STAND UP BODY MOUNT.. Well today is Satirday, Thursday & again yesterday I saw her & the pups. There are 2 White ones. Well its 6:17pm Eastern time here in PA this fine Saturday evening. I'm all set up 225 yards across the field from her den mound. Im prone under a tree right at the edge of the field. Should I SHOOT? Im really struggling here fellas! What would you fellas do? Im 99% sure I'll take her as soon as shes out & stands up.
Theosmithjr
I don't believe in luck, good or bad or voodoo hunter superstitions. So I checked with my Bible and you're good to go; I can't find anywhere that God curses man for shooting Albino Prairie Dogs with a .17HMR.
Kill 'em all!!!.....thus sayeth the Lord

Theosmithjr
Hope I'm not too late. I am a BIG fan of Choot'n um. However, I think i would let her have a full opportunity of raising them thar young'uns... Shoot on them when they grow up. It is bad luck to shoot a rare animal.

They're weined & off the tit. It's a huge Den Mound. 7 or 8 I can see in the field, its edge, and under a huge Spruce tree.
Might be too late.
I had customers in Colorado. A couple prairie dogs, they said they don't let anybody hunt them because there are only a couple and they are so cute. Went back the next year and the property was over run. When you stepped outside you would be tripping as the prairie dogs had no fear and no enemies, lots of fresh grass and bred faster than rabbits. Groundhogs would seem to be close cousins to prairie dogs in my book.

We had a piebald deer on our farm in Ohio. Almost entirely white. I thought about shooting her on opening day, but decided to let her go and maybe produce similar offspring. Someone shot her the next day and got his picture in the paper.

You are the one that has to live with the results of pulling the trigger. With that said I would make sure she cant get back to the hole and be unrecoverable, my money is that she does with a center mass shot from a 17hmr at anything past 100 yards.

Theosmithjr

I'm assuming this is a humorous post. If a groundhog has entertained you for 3 years, and now has a litter that she is responsible for keeping alive, I think anyone with a shred of humanity would say to take out the Pentax and photograph away; then mount the photos on the wall. In your later years, you'll be glad you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.