SERIOUS DELEMA To SHOOT or WATCH

Hmmmm....its a nuisance vermin and 1 we're debating on killing it, 2 we're talking about waiting till the pups are older....hmmmmm not seeing the delima. All I'd feel about the situation is recoil.

I live and hunt in hog infested ranch county. Passing on a hog on anything but opening day will get you asked to not come back.

And luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Let r rip.

.17 HMR at 225 yards? WOW!
Have several kia's with it alot further than 20gr XTP Hornady. Bullet flies flat and true it almost 300, then drop like a rock Still Deadly at 404 yards. I made a 404 yard head shot on a groundhog 2 weeks ago. Missed her barely 2 times, bullet impacted right at her feet. Me and my buddy and the land owner and his son all scored her a perfect 10.0 on her double back flips! Gave a tad more elevation , bang, dropped it right under her ear. Instant death. 404 yards confirmed and witnessed by 3 others beside myself

tysonbipod.jpg

The pic above is my hunting partner shooting at prairie dogs with the hmr I sold him. I sold it because i found over the years it will hit farther than it kills.
He found the same to be true...2 out of three prairie dogs make it back to thier holes past 150 yards and at the 350 yards he was shooting from this position only 1 out of 5 didnt make it back to the hole.
Not saying it cant be done but if your asking about shooting a white chuck because of luck or ethics???

If you want to rid the white one and save it for proof, I agree with the route of trapping her. Shooting could damage beyond repair or not be immediately fatal and your dead trophy is forever gone, dead below deck. What ultimately happened?

Have several kia's with it alot further than 20gr XTP Hornady. Bullet flies flat and true it almost 300, then drop like a rock Still Deadly at 404 yards. I made a 404 yard head shot on a groundhog 2 weeks ago. Missed her barely 2 times, bullet impacted right at her feet. Me and my buddy and the land owner and his son all scored her a perfect 10.0 on her double back flips! Gave a tad more elevation , bang, dropped it right under her ear. Instant death. 404 yards confirmed and witnessed by 3 others beside myself

That is funny, 17HMR at 4 hundred, that bad boy would hit with half the energy of a 22 short and only drop a little over 100 inches. If the hog was looking in the direction you shot, he could have stepped out of the way as it was coming! Good shooting, great story....Backflips!! The last time I had an HMR (only 17 grain) out shooting prairie dawgs, I looked at one (it was a very large one) I hit center of mass at 175 yards, he just tipped over. I usually don't mess with dead ones, but there wasn't any obvious damage. I rolled him over and I could see the lump where the bullet was stopped by the hide on the backside. I am assuming at that distance there wasn't enough velocity to open the tiny Vmax. Not too much energy left at that distance.

As I'm an agnostic who doesn't believe in "sky daddies", the blathering of modern-day Elmer Gantrys, or luck, my only "dilemma" would be whether to take out a breeding female or not. Here in the once-great state of Ohio, groundhog numbers aren't what they used to be, and now I'm more conscientious about leaving some for seed. Is this your land, or a farm where the owner won't notice or care if you, uh, occasionally "miss" one?
As stated above, Mama's chances of living many more years are getting slimmer. (By the way, it seems unusual in my experience for a 'hog to stay in one den for so long.)
In this case - as long as the pups are self-sufficient - I'd take her out. A well-placed bullet would mean a more humane end than possibly having her eyes pecked out by black buzzards, or eaten while half-alive by a mangy coyote.

Last edited:
We had a piebald deer on our farm in Ohio. Almost entirely white. I thought about shooting her on opening day, but decided to let her go and maybe produce similar offspring. Someone shot her the next day and got his picture in the paper.

Shoot a white one here in Tennessee and you will get your picture in the paper. A mug shot. **** near the only thing we can't shoot down here.

As for the ground hog, fire away my friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.