seniors with shaking hands

I haven't heard of essential tremor before. I'll have him look into that.
We don't have emergency communication yet. That's one of a couple things we are looking into.
Thanks!
My hunting buddy has suffered from this condition for over 20 years and is under evaluation; he finally opted for surgery because it affects his quality of life. When he bow/rifle hunted, he learned to find the rhythm where he finds comfortable.

I shoot with an older than me gentleman that has severe shakes from parkinsons. He has a routine where he will shake his hands then aquire the target and shoot. I took him hunting 4 yrs ago and the above video is how we were able to make him capable in the field away from a bench. small blind refular folding lawn chain my bogpod tripod and I installed an extra sling stud. Instead of rope I used the strap from a small ratchet strap so I could use regular uncle mike qd sling swivels. He could shoot with enough precision to take his game out to 300yds(all we practiced at). I still shoot at the club with him but now hunting is pretty much over due to his lack of mobility unfortunately.
If you wanted an arca mount forr the bogpod

That's a neat trick!

Thanks. I'm kicking myself for not going mule deer hunting with him years ago. I'd love to have a memory like this of him.
Going prone might be an issue for him. Also, if we end up in grass more than a few inches tall then that might be an issue anyway.
Be thankful you still have that opportunity. I never hunted with my Dad.

My dad is in his 80s and his hands shake so much that he's having trouble hitting deer passed 100 yards. My oldest brother and I are buying Wyoming antelope points for us and (secretly) him. He's tough and active, so we think he'll be able to walk the terrain that antelope live in. We plan to take him in about two years. I'm going to be hauling our tent and gear (including an inflatable bed for him) on a cart so he's not going to be carrying any weight other than his clothes and his favorite canteen. My concern is that he can't shoot far enough because of his hands shaking.
Any advice for a way to keep a rifle stable when you have shaky hands? I'll happily carry a shooting tripod if that would work. I have over a year to figure something out, but I hear it's common to shoot antelope over 200 yards away.

Thanks for any help
That's super taking care of your Dad like that. There needs to be more people spreading this type of support. Very nice! I hope he enjoys the efforts you are putting forth. I'm sure he will. Stay safe and have fun.

I hope you have many more years in the woods! I've seen several posts about BOG and InReach. I'll definitely be digging into the different types of each.
Thank you very much for the well wishes. Just this morning I texted to a friend who is deer hunting in Maine, and....he is close to 80 years old. He said that he was sitting in a bog, with 6 inches of snow and he's freezing his --s off!! He's had double by pass surgery, total knee replacements on both knees and a recent heart ablation, but....he's still out there hunting and freezing his --s off!!! The InReach is a great tool, I am not sure if there are any better ones out there, but...this is what I found and it worked for me @ $400. This past bear hunting season I needed to get picked up because of the really nasty rain storm that came in. Ordinarily I would have had to hike up a 1/2 mile hill to hopefully get phone/text service. I walked out to the drop-off place, found the open sky and texted the guide, she got right back to me without any issues.

I hunt with my son and another guy (my other son) who are both 53 YOA. When my "other son" saw the benefits of the InReach he bought one for himself because he too had experienced the lack of communication where we hunt. I got an InReach for my son for a birthday present, I'm was not so sure he was a believer of the unit, however I did notice he was using it and after a bit commented how useful it could be if needed. The way I see it we are all susceptible to getting hurt out there while hunting. What happens if someone falls either getting in or out of a tree stand, or even getting to the stand? Or...we have or experience a medical emergency of some sort, or we get lost<<---not that any of us get lost. The InReach also has GPS capabilities including tracking and waypoints and waypoint storage and it can be synced with your cell phone to make for easier texting and the larger screen of the cell phone. And...it really is not that big or heavy to carry. I keep mine in a shirt pocket where it is easily acceptable.

P.S. I wrote this reply this morning around 10:00 A.M.. I live in Rhode Island, and deer season is open. On the 6:00 P.M. news this evening there was a story about a deer hunter who was in a tree stand when he accidentally fell off the platform. He landed upside down and was hanging due his safety harness. He was using an InReach and...it probably saved his life because he was able to summons help with it.

Last edited:
My dad is in his 80s and his hands shake so much that he's having trouble hitting deer passed 100 yards. My oldest brother and I are buying Wyoming antelope points for us and (secretly) him. He's tough and active, so we think he'll be able to walk the terrain that antelope live in. We plan to take him in about two years. I'm going to be hauling our tent and gear (including an inflatable bed for him) on a cart so he's not going to be carrying any weight other than his clothes and his favorite canteen. My concern is that he can't shoot far enough because of his hands shaking.
Any advice for a way to keep a rifle stable when you have shaky hands? I'll happily carry a shooting tripod if that would work. I have over a year to figure something out, but I hear it's common to shoot antelope over 200 yards away.

Thanks for any help
A big thank you and very nice of you to take your dad hunting . It does not matter if he gets one or not. THE FUN AND ENJOYMENT WILL BE ENOUGH . I am speaking as an 80 year old who likes to hunt and =be in the woods, GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY !

Some examples would be great! I'm making a list of some of the recommendations. I'll show them to my brother next weekend so that we can start figuring out what would work.

If money is no object, just buy RRS and be done with it. 24 series w/Anvil-30 and then the ARCA to Spartan pin adapter if you want to use the spartan system on "pretty guns" or those with more rounded stocks or don't want the ARCA biting into your hands/shoulder/sides/etc.
https://rrssoar.com/tfct-anvil-30-arc probably the TFCT-24L if you are going to carry it. The 3 series is the larger 40mm size so stiffer, but heavier and not as compact packed up.

Spartan adapter https://javelinbipod.com/products/arca-spartan-converter plus the in stock adapter epoxied in each rifle https://javelinbipod.com/products/gunsmith-adapters

If money matters then these recommendations. All can be had cheaper than these links usually. PM me if you want more info and I'll help point you in the right direction. All of these are imported, in fact as far as I know everything except the RRS is imported.

Artcise CS80C 32mm main tubes with Anvil-30 or that import Sunwayfoto I have which isn't nearly as nice. I'd get the Anvil if you are doing ARCA. You can use the ball head in the set I linked but the Anvil is faster/better. The CS90C is also in that ad and the larger 40mm main tube I mentioned above. These will go tall enough if you are over 6ft. and are on a slope (you need to take that into account as downhill the lower legs are much longer). I have both of these with the matching 44mm & 52mm heads and they are solid. The CS90C is a tank probably 1lb tripod and 1/2lb head heavier than the CS80C. A bit bigger girth when folded but you could set a car on it - kidding but it feels like that.
Amazon product ASIN B09NKS1DKS
Spartan go with this if you are not doing the ARCA. I have the previous version on my tripod and love it. I will be getting this new Gen 2.

That said I am running this tripod as it is faster to deploy 3 vs 4 leg sections, lighter and will get me tall enough (barely -I am just shy of 6ft). Advantages of the 3 section is lighter, stiffer (no smallest section which is where most of the flex comes from) and faster to deploy. Disadvantages are not as tall fully extended, and taller collapsed in your pack. With the Davros Pro attached, titanium feet and QD bases it's right at 3-1/2lbs and a few oz. heavier with the inverted ARCA/Pic head. I plan on getting an actual Anvil-30 and the new Davros Pro G2 for this tripod.

This one has me intrigued. It's heavier than the one above but has a head that looks very good. Dark Lord of Optics did a review that was positive. It is just new out. I will likely trade one of my Artcise models off for it, probably the CS80C as it is also 32mm main tubes.

Hanging a fairly heavy pack from the center of the Apex is game changing on stability, all the wiggle disappears. Plan to have a carabiner or QD rigged up to quickly attach. It's also super nice to have the gear and rifle up off the ground.

HTH, and let me know if I can answer questions. I have a sizeable amount of time chasing these down but it's worth it! There are some tradeoffs to consider. If I can help someone save buying multiple versions to get it right I'm happy to do it.

32mm CS80C as I carried it last year (plus a fabricated adapter to the Spartan as theirs wasn't available then) on my Kifaru 22 Mag pack
20210926_112554.jpg

Setup on left as I carried this year early season on Kifaru Door Gunner - Leofoto w/Davros Pro on the right is the Kifaru 22 Mag w/CS90C for reference.
20220804_200033.jpg

L to R, AS80C (sold) w/bowl apex (you don't want a bowl for packing it's too bulky/heavy and it's harder to put the heads on, different story for photo stuff but we're talking hunting and rifles), CS80C w/44mm head, Leofoto w/Davros Pro, CS90C w/BOG Deathgrip Ultralight (I really dislike the clamp if anyone wants that I'll make you a deal)
20220804_195050.jpg

Last edited:
"jpndave"....Just an outstanding post!...great pictures and vivid descriptions from a guy who has obviously "been there and done that". I have arrived at some of those same conclusions. All I would add is PRACTICE the set-up. Changeing tripod angles and heights and adjusting the head takes some time to learn. I don't tap an ARCA plate to my rifles (too many rifles). I use both a BOG saddle and an original HOG saddle. If useing a saddle, identify the balance point of your rifle ahead of time. A simple piece of tape on the stock at the correct location saves alot of fidgeting time when you are setting up the shot.

jpndave....you are a real credit to this forum! Thanks again.

Shaking - not an uncommon situation for many veteran hunters, but some of the good news is that the gentleman is still up for another exciting season in the woods and plains after our noble North American wild game! Years ago one of my late neighbors - in his eighties at the time and deadly with his old 26" long barreled octagon 30-30 took a careful lead and bead on a huge whitetail buck streaking across a stubble field bound for the next patch of prairie bush. This elder hunter's grown son and I were "pushing bush" as it's known up here in the western provinces of Canuck Land, and just before the "jumper" reached the edge of the timber the bark of his Winchester rang out in the cold November morning. The son and I emerged somewhat out of breath running after we'd heard the brush cracking in front of us just in time to see old 'Bud' fire his careful and deliberate shot. I yelled over to my senior farm neighbor - "did you get em?" and was answered by a flash of his near toothless grin and "Yeap, neck shot"! The snow in the stubble was sprayed blood red with hair patches on the far side of the whitetail's sprinting tracks and 30 feet further on the big deer had hit a tree, then cartwheeled wildly before coming to a final rest with his nose and head buried in the foot deep snow. Sure enough, Bud's 170 grain Core Loc slug had drilled thru the whitetails thick neck just at the junction of the shoulder, severing the spine. Turning to us young'uns with the usual broad grin he declared "when you're an old buck like me - you gotta learn to shake at just the right time...!"

The finest shot I've ever known shooting just 'irons'!

If money is no object, just buy RRS and be done with it. 24 series w/Anvil-30 and then the ARCA to Spartan pin adapter if you want to use the spartan system on "pretty guns" or those with more rounded stocks or don't want the ARCA biting into your hands/shoulder/sides/etc.
https://rrssoar.com/tfct-anvil-30-arc probably the TFCT-24L if you are going to carry it. The 3 series is the larger 40mm size so stiffer, but heavier and not as compact packed up.

Spartan adapter https://javelinbipod.com/products/arca-spartan-converter plus the in stock adapter epoxied in each rifle https://javelinbipod.com/products/gunsmith-adapters

If money matters then these recommendations. All can be had cheaper than these links usually. PM me if you want more info and I'll help point you in the right direction. All of these are imported, in fact as far as I know everything except the RRS is imported.

Artcise CS80C 32mm main tubes with Anvil-30 or that import Sunwayfoto I have which isn't nearly as nice. I'd get the Anvil if you are doing ARCA. You can use the ball head in the set I linked but the Anvil is faster/better. The CS90C is also in that ad and the larger 40mm main tube I mentioned above. These will go tall enough if you are over 6ft. and are on a slope (you need to take that into account as downhill the lower legs are much longer). I have both of these with the matching 44mm & 52mm heads and they are solid. The CS90C is a tank probably 1lb tripod and 1/2lb head heavier than the CS80C. A bit bigger girth when folded but you could set a car on it - kidding but it feels like that.
Amazon product ASIN B09NKS1DKS
Spartan go with this if you are not doing the ARCA. I have the previous version on my tripod and love it. I will be getting this new Gen 2.

That said I am running this tripod as it is faster to deploy 3 vs 4 leg sections, lighter and will get me tall enough (barely -I am just shy of 6ft). Advantages of the 3 section is lighter, stiffer (no smallest section which is where most of the flex comes from) and faster to deploy. Disadvantages are not as tall fully extended, and taller collapsed in your pack. With the Davros Pro attached, titanium feet and QD bases it's right at 3-1/2lbs and a few oz. heavier with the inverted ARCA/Pic head. I plan on getting an actual Anvil-30 and the new Davros Pro G2 for this tripod.

This one has me intrigued. It's heavier than the one above but has a head that looks very good. Dark Lord of Optics did a review that was positive. It is just new out. I will likely trade one of my Artcise models off for it, probably the CS80C as it is also 32mm main tubes.

Hanging a fairly heavy pack from the center of the Apex is game changing on stability, all the wiggle disappears. Plan to have a carabiner or QD rigged up to quickly attach. It's also super nice to have the gear and rifle up off the ground.

HTH, and let me know if I can answer questions. I have a sizeable amount of time chasing these down but it's worth it! There are some tradeoffs to consider. If I can help someone save buying multiple versions to get it right I'm happy to do it.

32mm CS80C as I carried it last year (plus a fabricated adapter to the Spartan as theirs wasn't available then) on my Kifaru 22 Mag pack
View attachment 409722
Setup on left as I carried this year early season on Kifaru Door Gunner - Leofoto w/Davros Pro on the right is the Kifaru 22 Mag w/CS90C for reference.
View attachment 409723
L to R, AS80C (sold) w/bowl apex (you don't want a bowl for packing it's too bulky/heavy and it's harder to put the heads on, different story for photo stuff but we're talking hunting and rifles), CS80C w/44mm head, Leofoto w/Davros Pro, CS90C w/BOG Deathgrip Ultralight (I really dislike the clamp if anyone wants that I'll make you a deal)
View attachment 409724
Wow! Thanks for the pointers. I was wondering about how useful the bowl connections were, and now I know. One thing I just read was that the clamps (like DeathGrip) work best if the sides of the rifle are flat. Is that true? We mostly use traditional bolt guns. Do you know of a way to attach an Arca plate to a sling stud? If not, I may have to get something epoxied into the stock. This is getting even more exciting for me!

Awesome stuff.
Im waiting on my first tripod with anvil head(copy).
My rifle has a slim mountain rifle counter and I'm trying to decide between installing just a pic rail up front or adding two Spartan gunsmith adaptors.One I front of sling stud and one in front of recoil lug.
I curious about the davros and adaptors vs the pic and anvil setup.
This is a general purpose rifle from whitetail to elk.

Thanks for any help
My father in law is the same way, didn't start until the past two years