"I'MMA Gonna Shake Shake Skake..."

DoneNOut

I was taught many years ago, my first introduction to the fundamentals of marksmanship, to grip the grip of the gun like you would give a decent and firm handshake to someone. (The real type handshake, web to web and a one good "shake" not that stupid thing when people cup their and and you are shaking fingers kind of nonsense)

Fast forward 25yrs and I see this thumb resting on the same side a the trigger finger technique. "Less input into the rifle, blah blah blah". I've been doing my best to make this technique work for the last two years and today I'm done with it. I shot some groups the old way with a firm handshake grip and keeping in mind to press the trigger straight back with 90 degree trigger finger placement and that is where it's at for me. It is important not to milk the grip by imparting a twist, but thinking to myself, "Straight back into the shoulder". Good recoil management makes small groups. That comes with some solid input into the gun. I've come up with the mantra, I run the gun, it don't run me!

I just need to contribute here after all the China Balloon, crazy Canadian posts... 🤪

I was taught many years ago, my first introduction to the fundamentals of marksmanship, to grip the grip of the gun like you would give a decent and firm handshake to someone. (The real type handshake, web to web and a one good "shake" not that stupid thing when people cup their and and you are shaking fingers kind of nonsense)

Fast forward 25yrs and I see this thumb resting on the same side a the trigger finger technique. "Less input into the rifle, blah blah blah". I've been doing my best to make this technique work for the last two years and today I'm done with it. I shot some groups the old way with a firm handshake grip and keeping in mind to press the trigger straight back with 90 degree trigger finger placement and that is where it's at for me. It is important not to milk the grip by imparting a twist, but thinking to myself, "Straight back into the shoulder". Good recoil management makes small groups. That comes with some solid input into the gun. I've come up with the mantra, I run the gun, it don't run me!

I just need to contribute here after all the China Balloon, crazy Canadian posts... 🤪

I float my thumb. Always have. Load bipods while pulling rifle firmly into the shoulder, get that 90* trigger finger placement an go.

Thumb placement is irrelevant so long as you u can get that 90* trigger placement and have control of the gun, you're gtg.

Edit: you will be faster with your bolt manipulation if you're floating your thumb as opposed to wrapping it though

Last edited:
I float my thumb. Always have. Load bipods while pulling rifle firmly into the shoulder, get that 90* trigger finger placement an go.

Thumb placement is irrelevant so long as you u can get that 90* trigger placement and have control of the gun, you're gtg.
I stopped loading the bipods and things got way better for me. I let the rifle slide or keep it recoiling straight back. A touch upon the "free recoil" method by the bench shooters and F class, just so severely free. LOL

I stopped loading the bipods and things got way better for me. I let the rifle slide or keep it recoiling straight back. A touch upon the "free recoil" method by the bench shooters and F class, just so severely free. LOL

Free recoil works better with heavier guns and light calibers that you see in F Class, Benchrest and PRS (ie low recoil) not super practical for lighter hunting rifles where potential rapid follow up shots are required