Shake up at "Best of The West"

I'm with Sharpsman. It's the Indian behind the arrow that matters. All these things are just tools. No matter how simplified, complicated, well packaged or pitched they are, tools don't allow any of us to make first round hits out long. Only practice does!!! And lots of it.

If a barrel maker comes out with a better technology tomorrow that makes my rifles more accurate, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to incorporate it into my builds. Same for actions, stocks, bases, rings, slings and all the rest. And if based on a lot of experience in the field, I find a better scope, reticle, rangefinder, binoculars, pack, boots, bipod or any other tool that helps me improve my first round hit ratio, then I'm going to try it. But in trying it, I'm also practicing and that's what counts. Technology is just like the wind - it changes every minute. There's no such thing as a "point and click" solution for what we do.

Ever here the old saying "Beware the man that owns but one gun, he likely knows how to use it"?

Best Wishes to all.
True to an extent. But especially in the long range shooting game, the technology makes a big difference. An example. I'm proud of where I've gotten to as a long range shooter, but compared to a lot of the guys on this site, I bet I'm below average. Maybe in the 50th percentile if I'm lucky, probably a lot lower though. I'm good with that since it's just a fun hobby for me, and I have other hobbies and lots of work and home responsibilities. My gear is nice but not top end - a GAP 6.5 creed with a leupold mark4 scope. That said I would be very confident shooting against the best guys that shoot BPCR with none of today's tech at unknown distances out to 1000 yards plus. If I'm using a half moa rifle with a 20x scope and I can use a range finder and wind meter and they have none of those and are using a 45-70 with a vernier sight, they simply can't overcome the advantage I have even though they are better shooters.

Last edited: