seniors with shaking hands

I'm assuming you have had your Dad checked for essential tremor and Parkinson but if not please do. I know a respected shooter that has had to add medication for essential tremor. You didn't mention if this was a guided hunt or not. Either way you need to make sure you have a way of emergency communication in the field.
This is a great reply. I am following the thread because this topic interests me as well. I am 76 this year, two heart attacks (@53), back issues, very poor mobility, and every other thing that can either fall apart, break or have had removed; 152 years of wear-and-tear on a 76 year old body. Boy....I look in the mirror and ask, "How did you get here???" Anyway I recommend to anyone who has health issues and concerns about getting emergency help to look into the InReach 2 Mini device; like $400 and I just saw them on sale for $350 with a rebate. I black bear hunt in Maine, there's absolutely no cell service where we hunt, I'm about 1/4 mile into the woods off of a tote road and totally alone until I get picked up 5-6 hours once I've been dropped off. With the InReach2 Mini I don't have cell service, however I "do" have the ability to text, and...there is the "emergency" button that is monitored and again one can text back and forth to the monitoring system. Once the emergency button is hit, even if you do not answer a text back the cavalry/help is coming. I just read of an incident in the west where a father and son were hunting and they were attacked by a grizzly. In the total mayhem the father, in addition to being mauled, shot himself in the leg with a handgun; that gotta really have sucked!!! Anyway the son hit the emergency button on the device and when the son and father arrived at a ranch there was an emergency crew and helicopter there to life-flight the father to the hospital. There are different monitoring plans for the InReach, I chose one where it is a one-time activation fee of $35 annually and then like $14/month after that. I chose a plan where I can turn on or deactivate the device on a monthly basis.

I'd also like to congratulate this OP for taking his father out and keeping him in the loop for hunting. My two hunting partners, son and son's best friend, have vowed to get me out to the ground blind even if they have to drag me out there in the bear tub or in a wheelbarrow. I also have been looking at the Death Grip Bog pod also. Anything that will help to keep on keeping on!!!

Last few days I've been working on a design for a super light, portable shooting rest for myself but right now its just pencil on paper. Have dreamt up/ tossed around all kinds of different designs and think I've come up with something that will be super stable, light, and easy to use. It will have a front and rear rest with the option to use skinny tube sandbags or simple thin padding in the front and just using hand support and/or the rifle's angled stock for elevation change. Carbon fiber or 7075 aluminum tubing construction. Weight should be less than 10 pounds and unfurl in a flash.

When i get something built and tested I'll post it here.

Last few days I've been working on a design for a super light, portable shooting rest for myself but right now its just pencil on paper. Have dreamt up/ tossed around all kinds of different designs and think I've come up with something that will be super stable, light, and easy to use. It will have a front and rear rest with the option to use skinny tube sandbags or simple thin padding in the front and just using hand support and/or the rifle's angled stock for elevation change. Carbon fiber or 7075 aluminum tubing construction. Weight should be less than 10 pounds and unfold in a flash.

When i get something built and tested I'll post it here.
This would be great to see, thank you!!👍👍👍

My hunting tripod is 3-1/2lbs. Spartan pin for the pretty rifles. ARCA for chassis and AR. Going to sight in my new DMR/Coyote 6mm ARC build today I can snap a few pics. Can't stress clamping in and the weight below enough once you have the proper setup. You do that and pre-load the tripod it's as good as it gets in the field, like shooting off a bench. Here's my 6.5CM Kimber on 32mm tube w/Davros Pro head. The tripod behind is a CS90C 40mm main tube similar to what @Revolting Peasant recommended but with the compact head which I highly recommend.
20211213_091852.jpg

Same CS90C w/an inverted head. The Anvil 30 is better jury still out on this one. I plan on using this as a spare/lianer/kids tripod and getting a real Anvil-30 for myself.
20221028_153827.jpg

Ok thanks anyway bit it does give me some ideas. I like making my own stuff just for the fun of it.

I do like the looks of that tripod above, always wondered how solid they were compared to front and rear rest or bipod. If the ball is tight enough to not wiggle with my movement and the setup doent flex much it might be nice.

Alot of places around here either have grass or sage brush too high for sitting with a bipod, and just a litle above the brush is an awkward height if your body/ rifle isn't well supported.

Last edited:
Im in the same boat. Im 74 with a slight hand tremor, but my real issue is two 12 inch steel rods in my lower back and my neck is fused T-1 to Cervical 2. last couple of years, I have shot antelope from a BOG tripod (saddle) and a small folding camp chair. Longest shot was 457 yds. This year I was able to get to high ground and did shoot prone at a downhill angle (210 yds) but it hurt like H*ll. I would also recommend lots of practice with different techniques. The heavy weight hanging from the tripod is a definite help. Best wishes. These hunts with your kids and grandkids are what keeps me going.

A proper tripod with either ARCA or Spartan pin will be a huge help if used correctly. Hang a fairly heavy pack from the center apex and practice loading the tripod while shooting. It will be as steady as a bench. The direct connection to his rifle is MUCH better than a clamp and kills recoil just like a heavy rifle. I can post a few examples of what to get if interested. RRS is the best but other imports work almost as well and are a fraction of the cost.
Some examples would be great! I'm making a list of some of the recommendations. I'll show them to my brother next weekend so that we can start figuring out what would work.

This is a great reply. I am following the thread because this topic interests me as well. I am 76 this year, two heart attacks (@53), back issues, very poor mobility, and every other thing that can either fall apart, break or have had removed; 152 years of wear-and-tear on a 76 year old body. Boy....I look in the mirror and ask, "How did you get here???" Anyway I recommend to anyone who has health issues and concerns about getting emergency help to look into the InReach 2 Mini device; like $400 and I just saw them on sale for $350 with a rebate. I black bear hunt in Maine, there's absolutely no cell service where we hunt, I'm about 1/4 mile into the woods off of a tote road and totally alone until I get picked up 5-6 hours once I've been dropped off. With the InReach2 Mini I don't have cell service, however I "do" have the ability to text, and...there is the "emergency" button that is monitored and again one can text back and forth to the monitoring system. Once the emergency button is hit, even if you do not answer a text back the cavalry/help is coming. I just read of an incident in the west where a father and son were hunting and they were attacked by a grizzly. In the total mayhem the father, in addition to being mauled, shot himself in the leg with a handgun; that gotta really have sucked!!! Anyway the son hit the emergency button on the device and when the son and father arrived at a ranch there was an emergency crew and helicopter there to life-flight the father to the hospital. There are different monitoring plans for the InReach, I chose one where it is a one-time activation fee of $35 annually and then like $14/month after that. I chose a plan where I can turn on or deactivate the device on a monthly basis.

I'd also like to congratulate this OP for taking his father out and keeping him in the loop for hunting. My two hunting partners, son and son's best friend, have vowed to get me out to the ground blind even if they have to drag me out there in the bear tub or in a wheelbarrow. I also have been looking at the Death Grip Bog pod also. Anything that will help to keep on keeping on!!!
I hope you have many more years in the woods! I've seen several posts about BOG and InReach. I'll definitely be digging into the different types of each.

Some examples would be great! I'm making a list of some of the recommendations. I'll show them to my brother next weekend so that we can start figuring out what would work.
You have plenty of time to get your shooter out and practice different techniques. Just need to keep the hunt secret until then. What you're doing is really great!

I shoot with an older than me gentleman that has severe shakes from parkinsons. He has a routine where he will shake his hands then aquire the target and shoot. I took him hunting 4 yrs ago and the above video is how we were able to make him capable in the field away from a bench. small blind refular folding lawn chain my bogpod tripod and I installed an extra sling stud. Instead of rope I used the strap from a small ratchet strap so I could use regular uncle mike qd sling swivels. He could shoot with enough precision to take his game out to 300yds(all we practiced at). I still shoot at the club with him but now hunting is pretty much over due to his lack of mobility unfortunately.
If you wanted an arca mount forr the bogpod

My dad is in his 80s and his hands shake so much that he's having trouble hitting deer passed 100 yards. My oldest brother and I are buying Wyoming antelope points for us and (secretly) him. He's tough and active, so we think he'll be able to walk the terrain that antelope live in. We plan to take him in about two years. I'm going to be hauling our tent and gear (including an inflatable bed for him) on a cart so he's not going to be carrying any weight other than his clothes and his favorite canteen. My concern is that he can't shoot far enough because of his hands shaking.
Any advice for a way to keep a rifle stable when you have shaky hands? I'll happily carry a shooting tripod if that would work. I have over a year to figure something out, but I hear it's common to shoot antelope over 200 yards away.

Thanks for any help
Will follow your replies with great interest. I'm nearly finished with the 80's and will be in the 90"s in just over a year. I have had cateract surgery but there is no substitute for youthful eyes. Have been a reasonable short range benchrester and enjoy 300 plus distances head shooting rabbits. We don't have the large enimals you have in USA so the 22BR and 22PPC are the go to cartridges.

Interesting! I assumed it was all spot and stalk. I'll have to look into some of the antelope treads on here.
I have seen more games/success still than spot and stalk.
A tripod and a ground blind set up on a water or an obvious fence crossing is the set up I would choose.
This!