sendero help

chrishatley

Hey guys, I need a little help. I know this isn't the right section, but I figured it would get more views here. I have a sendero in .300wm with a new ptg bolt, and m16 extractor that won't close on a factory round, loaded round that used to chamber with the old bolt, or a full length sized piece of brass. The bolt closes fine with nothing in the chamber. Front action screw is not rubbing the locking lug. The work was done by a very well known smith, I'm just wondering if he forgot to headspace the thing. Any suggestions?

I don't know in what order the parts were assembled but if the action/barrel assembly took place with the original bolt and the PTG bolt with M16 extractor was added later you may not have enough room for the extractor (which extends just slightly ahead of the bolt compared to the original Remington or Sako extractor) to clear the back of the barrel. It's sometimes necessary to cut a relief in the back of the barrel to accommodate the M16 extractor.

Right on Fear. It appears that the smith didn't open up the bolt nose counter bore in the barrel. I can take the bolt out, stick a round under the extractor, and put it in and chamber without any resistance at all. Mr. Dixon said the work would take about 2 weeks. It took almost 4 months, and they didn't even function test it??? I tried 4 sponsors here, some were booked up,couldn't get hold of the others. Next time I'll wait on one of them.

That bolt will need to be fitted to your barreled action. Headspace from the bolt to the barrel is not a preset thing, it varies from rifle-to-rifle, that's why they all have to be fitted, and that's why when you get an action trued and your headspacing reset, they perfectly fit, align, and space everything.

Which is why if you're planning on using an aftermarket bolt like the PTG, then you might wanna have that part when you get your rifle built, or else you'll have to do it all over again.

Shannon has done a couple rifles for me already, they shoot great. I just left him a message an hour or so ago. Mud, the bolt has been headspaced. They just didn't relieve the bolt counter bore for the m16 extractor.

Wow the smith never function tested the rifle... that's like gun smithing 101 right there.

Which is why if you're planning on using an after market bolt like the PTG, then you might wanna have that part when you get your rifle built, or else you'll have to do it all over again.

Print that out and hang it on the wall. Been there; done that. Hadn't planned on changing out the bolt on my recent build but the extraction wasn't quite right and I had to either reposition the bolt handle to correct the cam action or replace the bolt. So I have to break down the build to fit the PTG replacement bolt.

Definitely not very impressed to say the least. He did a heck of a job on the brake, but dropped the ball on the bolt. If he had did a function test, the problem would have been obvious.

Definitely not very impressed to say the least. He did a heck of a job on the brake, but dropped the ball on the bolt. If he had did a function test, the problem would have been obvious.
He should be more than willing to fix his own error and move you to the front of the line to get it done ASAP.

Stuff like this can ruin a gunsmith's reputation in a hurry and in that business all you have is your reputation.

Call him and give him a chance to make it right.

He should be more than willing to fix his own error and move you to the front of the line to get it done ASAP.

Stuff like this can ruin a gunsmith's reputation in a hurry and in that business all you have is your reputation.

Call him and give him a chance to make it right.

Rose! Where you been hiding at man? Been a while since I seen you post. I hope Everything's alright on your end.

Rose! Where you been hiding at man? Been a while since I seen you post. I hope Everything's alright on your end.
Mostly working my *** off trying to get back in shape after the last surgery and trying to keep up with chores.

It's nice to be missed.

We're doing fine and getting excited about life with fall right around the corner!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.