Sendero 7mag twist rate

I have a 30 Nos build I am impatiently waiting for so I can start loading and shooting it haha. Need to get it dialed for what I hope will be my first elk hunt next year.

This project with his rifle is more of a just because I'm bored type of situation!. There is a Sendero in 264wm that is quietly hiding in the back of his safe that will definitely be mine one day, many years down the road hopefully.

Use the Berger stability calculator and see how certain bullets will do with what you've got. I shoot 180 Bergers and ELDs with great accuracy out to 950 yards with a 1:9.25 twist. And as far as the belt goes, I just bump my shoulders back .002" and have zero issues. The belt is basically obsolete at that point. It's your money, but it seems like a lot to spend to just get away from a belt

This is good advice but I recommend the JBM Ballistics Sg calculator over the Berger Sg calculator. I'm convinced the Berger is a proprietary calculus designed to sell Berger bullets. It attempts to use elevation/altitude in place of barometric pressure and air temp. It also makes zero provision for the substantial influence of plastic tips.

The JBM calculator will yield a substantially more reliable gyroscopic stability coefficient in my opinion, after much research on the subject.

Best wishes!

Since it "your dad's" rifle. You might want to factor in felt recoil. Either the 7STW or the 28 Nosler will have substantially more recoil than a 7mag. I gave my son my 7mag after he begged me for it for a few years. I turned around and built a 28 Nosler for myself. Even with a brake, it has noticably more recoil than my old 7mag. And both guns are early 90's Rem KS Mtn rifles. My 28 has a fluted 25" SS barrel and fluted bolt, so the weight of the two guns is very similar.

Since it "your dad's" rifle. You might want to factor in felt recoil. Either the 7STW or the 28 Nosler will have substantially more recoil than a 7mag. I gave my son my 7mag after he begged me for it for a few years. I turned around and built a 28 Nosler for myself. Even with a brake, it has noticably more recoil than my old 7mag. And both guns are early 90's Rem KS Mtn rifles. My 28 has a fluted 25" SS barrel and fluted bolt, so the weight of the two guns is very similar.
Good to know. Didn't realize there would be that much difference between the felt recoil of the two calibers since I'm not well versed on the 284 stuff.

Good to know. Didn't realize there would be that much difference between the felt recoil of the two calibers since I'm not well versed on the 284 stuff.
7mag uses 65-66gr of powder, 28 Nosler uses 85-90gr of powder for the same 140gr bullet! It's not a kids gun. I'm 5'5" and 195lbs and even with the break it's right on the upper edge of what I can shoot accurately. I don't use a lead sled, they can be real bad for heavy recoiling guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.