Semi-autos?

I have a 308 and a 300 SAUM AR 10 that I believe will work. I have not had the opportunity to to shoot any animals at long range yet though. The 308 I would limit to around 500 yards and the 300 SAUM would go to around 800 on deer sized game. Both will shoot 1/2 MOA If I do my part. Both have after maket triggers. I have about $2,500 in the 300 SAUM, so it is not less money than a good bolt rifle.

Attachments

• Accuracy System 300 SAUM.jpg
    Accuracy System 300 SAUM.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 80
Yep, I spent a year or so putting together a dedicated long range AR in .260 Remington.

With two different 130gr factory loads it's consistently shooting right around .5moa off of a good rest.

It's not a cheap route to go to get that kind of accuracy though. You could get a lot of nice custom and semi custom bolt guns for the same money or less.

DPMS upper/lower. 24" Krieger ultra match stainless bbl.

JP trigger, complete drop in unit.

IOR Valdada 4-14x50 Tactical scope setting on top.

In the photo it still has the original DPMS factory free float tube but I have upgraded to the APEX Gator Grip handguard system. If I get time tomorrow I'll get a picture of it in the current configuration.

The pictured target is a full 20rd magazine fired in under 2 minutes at 250yds in a 25mph wind. Since I was shooting off of the tail gate getting completely steady was impossible and it still shot sub 1.5" at that range.

If you want to go the custom LR AR platform route give Karl a call at Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc in Colorado. He's an absolute artist with either AR's or even Mini 14's. You will pay for his level of precision, but then you will pay for it with anyone else as well.

3522d1320392918t-all-you-people-thinking-getting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-img_0066.jpg

3523d1320392918t-all-you-people-thinking-getting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-img_0070.jpg

I have rigs in both AR-15 and AR-10 platforms. My large game set-up is a Remington R25 in 7 mm08 with a Mk4 Leupold 3.5x10, and a RRA Match trigger with JP springs. Loaded with 140 gr. SST's at 2800 fps it's very effective out to 500 yards. I get consistent .5 MOA with my hand loads. Also have several rigs in the AR-15 platform that I use for varmint and 200/300 yard egg shoot competition. With the right set up and load development, they don't give up much to the bolt for midrange work.

I shoot a m110 at work and I have got second round hits at 1300 meters. I would feel comfortable taking a deer at around 800 after that I am not sure it would have the power needed. Smaller game like coyotes definitely out to 1200.

Here's the AR-260 in it's current configuration. 4-14x50 IOR and Tango Down Bipod. Great bipod for prone, not a great one for bench work though, too tall and has metal feet. The second picture is the 300yds target I shot with it today.

Attachments

• ar260.jpg
    ar260.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 70
  • AR260300yds.jpg
    AR260300yds.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 69
Wildrose,

Nice accuracy!!! What are you using for a load, I have a 260 on order. I haven't owned one and was starting to think about load development. Thanks.

I have shot 3 deer at 285 to 300 yds. with my Browning BAR in 30-06. I just ordered a 20 MOA Picatinny rail from EGW to put my Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a custom turret made for my 6mm Norma BR. It looks like the ark of the two calibers may be within 2 inches of each other. I am going to test shoot it out to 400 yds. with the new setup to see if it will be accurate enough to use next year in Wyoming.

I'd rather not carry my 15 lb. 6mm Norma BR. and the 30-06 will give me a lot more poop at longer ranges than the 6mm.

joseph

PS: My BAR shoots less then MOA at 100 yds. :)

Attachments

• 30-06 BAR.JPG
    30-06 BAR.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 71
Wildrose,

Nice accuracy!!! What are you using for a load, I have a 260 on order. I haven't owned one and was starting to think about load development. Thanks.
Those are Grizzly Custom with 130gr Sciroccos. The advertised velocity of 3,000fps is proving to be very accurate according to my field data.

It shoots the 120gr Federal Fusion and Remington Premier Accutips very well too.

So far the only thing it didn't shoot well was the 123gr HSM Lapua Scenars.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.