Semi Auto comparison

jbs2014

ALCON

has anyone on the forum had any experience with the Noreen BN 338 or the Alexander Arms Ulfberht .338 Lapua? I have read some bad things about the Noreen on different forums but not a lot on the Alexander Arms Ulfberht.

How do they stack up in terms of long range accuracy?

Which one is most reliable?

Has anyone shot both of them and have any thoughts they would like to share?

Thank You

I have fired three ULFBERHT rifles over the past three years. One of them was an early prototype that Bill Alexander was working on. All three rifles have worked flawlessly, with no need for special or particular brands of ammunition. They also shot well, with 3/4 MOA groups being easily achieved out to 300 yards.

Later,

Kevin

No problem.

I have not heard many good things about the Noreen Firearms Bad News 338. Like most large AR-type rifles, it is sensitive to the types of ammunition that it uses. It probably prefers Lapua brass, and fails with Hornady brass. I have also heard that two Noreen rifles have blown up.

The DRD Tactical Kivaari and the F&D Defense FD-338 are well-made rifles, but they are also sensitive to the types of ammunition that they use. DRD Tactical will only guarantee reliable operation when Lapua brand ammunition is used.

The main problem with AR-type rifles that are chambered for the 338 Lapua Magnum cartridge is the lack of metal around the chamber. Thin chamber walls will flex more than thick walls when a cartridge is fired. When the walls relax, they clamp down on the brass like a collet. This results in extraction problems. Since Hornady brass is softer than Lapua brass, it is more prone to being stuck in a chamber with thin walls.

Another problem with AR-type rifles is primary extraction. They have little, if any, camming action to pry a cartridge case from the chamber. Without some form of mechanical advantage to pull a case from a chamber, extraction problems can be more common.

Later,

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.