Semi auto for women

gkempf

Any of you guys have wives or girlfriends that hunt with you, If so what shotgun are they using. My girlfriend wants to start and i dont know what to get her. Want a nice soft recoiling 20ga. Thanks

Tristar 28ga.....really lightweight...plenty of ammo on shelves..buy it by the case..
The Semi barely kicks..the o/u isn't bad..

I have a Beretta A300 and a Mossberg SA 20. I loaned the SA 20 to a friend to go goose hunting in Canada. There were 6 guys in the group and over 4 days they killed 500 birds. Everyone in the group enjoyed that little 20 ga shooting 3 inch #2's stating what a soft shooting gun it is. Plus it's a heck of a turkey gun!!

I'm a certified level 2 sporting clays/shotgun instructor and work with and fit a lot of women to guns. The Beretta is far and away the way to go. They have a lot of adjustability. Those guns just keep on running. They tend to cycle lighter loads than most. The 300s have the kickoff system now which helps reduce recoil. If you have to go to shorter pull with that stock you can remove the kickoff and use a Limbsaver 10702 prefit pad. It has a soft toe that doesn't bruise a ladies upper chest so bad. The issue with fitting women is typically narrower set eyes, longer necks, and high cheekbones. Not to mention they are a bit more susceptible to eye dominance issues. Not all women, but some, will need a Monte Carlo type stock or some kind of adjustable comb or pad to get their eye up high enough to see over the receiver And down the rib. The older reduced length parallel comb 391 stock from Beretta worked pretty well. You can also build a comb up with bondo and sand to fit. There are many ways to skin that cat. For temporary fit I will use foam sheets and masking tape.
Just this afternoon I had a lesson with a 16 year old girl that had only fired a shotgun 3-4 times. I determined that she was right handed and left eye dominant. She was using one of my training guns, a Beretta 20, and I used masking tape and a dish towel (forgot the foam) to get her eye up and looking down the rib and then changed the shims for proper cast for a left handed Shooter. Once I got her fitted, she was amazing. And shocked because as she said" I can't even brush my teeth left handed". The key with that switch is to catch them before they have developed any muscle memory.

IMO a gas auto shotgun has the lowest recoil, but can be heavy. I have a Benelli Montefeltro but since it's inertia driven if not shouldered properly it'll have a malfunction. I've trained a lot of women who were made to fear the 12GA shotgun to shoot them very well. The main thing is how it fits. If it fits them well they'll have a better chance of holding it tight against their shoulder. That one thing alone will help them absorb recoil well and not hurt them.

Recent Posts