Semi or O/U

Apex Custom Rifles

Official LRH Sponsor
Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

Any thoughts from you experienced upland hunters?

My experience: The RL fits me like the Italian SG's do. The Browning like other Japanese SG's (SKB, etc) don't IMO fit is everything.
A few smacks to the face and you either develop a flinch or give up on the sport.

Gas operated actions may be more kid friendly.

Last edited:
If you want a soft shooter get a gas gun. The recoil from a Benelli isn't going to be much different then a o/u. As far as an auto vs a O/U, The autos can be really nice when you get a few late flushing birds and having one more (or more depending on regs) still in the gun after the initial flush can certainly put more birds in the bag. But there is a certain feel with a good O/U that is hard to match with an auto.

For you to shoot that is a different story, I shoot a 725, 870, weatherby sa-08, and my wife's a400 and love them all. I probably shoot the 870 and the sa-08 the most when hunting because the others are too pretty to mess up. The 870 and sa-08 are both synthetic stocks and cost less so if I have to use them to paddle a boat or they get a little beat up it isn't a big deal they are tools

I have the Montefeltro 12 gauge for several years now and love it. I shot over 300 rounds at sporting clays once and never felt a thing, I took it hunting quail in TX a few times. I love the inertia system.
I always wanted a Browning Citori 625, but never got around to it. I see they have the 725 out now. I do not know much about those, but the 625 I liked a lot.

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

Benelli super sport

Generally, O/U shotguns point and swing nicer than autos do. In my opinion the inertia operated Benelli comes as close to handling like a double as semi can. The Ruger is a tough gun but with the exception of the 28 about a pound heavier than equal offerings by Browning and Barretta

The O/U is by far the safest and easiest to use for anyone in the field. The action can be opened with a flick of a lever and the gun becomes inert not fumbling with unloading the feed tube.

A couple years ago I was shooting 2-3k rounds of clays a month and have shot several different guns. As far as semis go look hard at Beretta. The gas system reduces recoil way more then an inertia system like the Benelli. On the O/U side of things the Brownings are solid guns just keep an extra set of firing pin springs around. The Beretta 682/6/7 series guns are also a good option. The main thing is to find what fits you. I would steer clear of the Red Labels. They kick like a mule and I know a few guys that have had lots of problems with them. If you can go to a knowledgeable shotgun dealer and let them fit you to make sure the gun in naturally pointing where you are looking. You will be way ahead of the curve. I learned this the hard way.

I love my 525, had a 725, have/do own Benellis, have had several autos. For the money, very difficult to beat a Beretta A300. Reliable with any ammo, easy to clean, shoot well.

I have two daughters I bought multiple 20 gauges for. If I offer them a shotgun now, both with grab a 12 gauge. With modern ammo choices, the extra pound or pound and a half of the 12 gauge makes less recoil, you can power up if needed, and ammo is cheaper. Wish I'd have got smarter faster.

Help me choose.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label.

Thoughts? My first thought was, "This guy doesn't realize it yet, but he really needs three shotguns." 🤣
Yes. Get the O/U in 20ga for the kids. It's far safer for kids that age.
Yes. Pick out one for you from your list above.
When you're ready to drop some more coin ... get yourself a Benelli M2 Field ... and don't ask me later why I didn't encourage you to buy that one as your first. 🤣

Recent Posts