Benelli semi auto 28

dogz

I like the 28, thinking about one of the Benelli semi's in 28. Wondering if anyone here has either one of their Ultra's or perhaps the newer SBE 3 with the new 3". I'll go with the 26" barrel.

I had my right shoulder replaced a month ago so I'm looking for something light and capable.

Side note, my old 28 is a Charles Daly stack gun that's been very good to me for doves to honkers.

Thx in advance for your thoughts.

I had a 28ga Benelli legacy I bought to dove/quail hunt. I loved it. Picked up a MEC jr to reload for it and the cost of shooting it went way down. I prefer O/Us for wing shooting, but it was a sweet little quail gun. Could shoot and carry it all day without getting fatigued. I even reloaded some 5s for it and killed a few turkeys. With the TSS loads today turkeys would be no issue.

I ended up selling it when I moved to Florida because I didn't wing hunt out there. Still regret it!

If you are planning on shooting light TSS loads, the Benellis require a bit more of a load to be reliable, we've switched to the Tristar Viper G2 Bronze versions.

I want to try a Franchi AL 28, but willing to bet the long recoil action too will require more shot to be reliable.

I have one of the 28s from the first year they made it. Great little gun. Weighs nothing and is a pleasure to carry. Mine has probably 4k rbds through it after a few trips to Argentina and no issues..

My ethos in 20ga has been absolutely reliable with everything I've ran through her. From dove to 3" waterfowl loads, with the boss shells I've never felt handicapped. I'm sure the 28ga version will be just as reliable, the only 28 I have is a Citori and it's like packing a pop gun around I love it.

Saw a new Benilli in a small shop other day....28" barrel...semiauto...wow grain plastic..nice looking....1500....
HUX Guns....chubbuck ID

I have an UltraLight w/26" barrel. Great gun, but it won't cycle my duck loads. I just ordered a SBE3 and should be here next week. Shoot me a PM if interested as I was going to list it for sale as soon as my SBE3 came in.

I wonder why it won't cycle those quacker stacker loads...? It would seem to me like they should pop right thru it? I'd be using it a lot for ducks and geese, probably with Hevi Shot.

Because these are loads some friends and I developed. The payload is too light for the inertia system to work in the Benelli. These aren't over the counter/factor loads. It cycled the Hevi-Shot I used before TSS fine. We go as light as possible on the TSS loads to get the most loads out of a pound of shot

interesting, guess I never would of thought to build a light load for waterfowl:)

can't wait to hear your thoughts on the SBE3, that seems like it'll be a winner