Seating depth with accubonds

freebird63

with the 200gr 30cal nosler accubonds how is their performance effected by seating depth?? Do they perform better at the lands or are they not really effected by seating depth?? I have put a wyatt extended box magazine in my sendero and if I remember right I can fit rounds that are 3.825 inches into my magazine. That would put me at 3.200 inches from base to Ogive. Its still short of the lands but fits in the magazine.

If I remember right to my lands is 3.250 inches, so that would put me at .50 off the lands. I don't have a problem with my gun being a single shot, after all it only takes 1 shot to kill it and would rather have a couple shells in the magazine in case I need to get a 2nd quick shot off. Thank you for the info.
Chuck

I haven't messed with them much but I dont think they have a problem jumping to the lands. I would try them at mag length or even shorter, say 50 thousands off then 80 and 11 off. Thats what I would try but I'm no expert, I'm sure someone will chime in that uses them and what depth they are using. Good luck

I have shot accubonds anywhere from .030 into the lands to .150 off. What i found was it really didnt matter. There is about 5 different spots they will shoot good and one they will shoot lights out. Mostly i shoot then between .005 and .010 off but some of the guns i found and this depends on caliber was they did like .01 to .025 off the lands. If they didnt shoot there i found it wasnt worth my time to try anything closer then .06 off. Between .06 and .12 seemed to always find a really great spot to shoot them. You really need to find where your throat is at by loading one long and bringing it back scuffing the bullet between attempts and wait for it to just barley dissapear. It helps a lot to keep track of how fast it moves and stay with it.

The "lights out grouping" point with the 130 AB in my 264 Win mag is 10 thousands off the lands. And at 3350 fps it don't take it long to get where it is going either. :D

Well it seems as per usual when I decide to use something they suddenly become hard to find. Guess that little factory blow up must have hurt the supply of 200gr accubonds.

I load for 3 model-70 270wsm's with 140 accubonds. All 3 like .015 off the lands the best. and all 3 are within 1 grain of RL-19 powder for where they shoot best also.
Havent got dies for my model-70, 30-06 yet, but when I do get em, I have a box of 168gr accubonds to try....... think Ill start load development, oh say about .015 off the lands:D. Need to try the 180 accubonds in my model-70, 300wby, but who knows where the lands even start with that thing:D:D

The accubonds have a tangent ogive that is generally not too sensitive to seating depth.

Bergers and Hornady Amax bullets are secant ogive and they are very sensitive to seating depth.

Generally speaking, most bullets shoot best when closer to the lands.

I called Nosler yesterday and had a conversation with a bullet tech. He told me Accubonds like jump. He loads .30 .40 .50 for his daughters gun and selects the one that groups best. I cant remember the caliber. I shoot a 338 LM and he suggested the same. He said at .010 off to .30 off Accubonds get flyers. He said accubonds like jump (and apparently a lot of it). He also told me that there would be a new production run of 300 grain bullets in February and should be on the shelves by March.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.