VLD seating depth

Rckymtnshooter

What influences the optimum seating death more, the rifle or the load. If with a certain powder the gun shot the best seated .090 off the lands will the gun continue to shoot best with the same seating depth with different powders ? I'm just wondering if anyone has seen any consistancy's with this.

The barrel dictates seating depth preference.

I have loaded extensively with vlds of many calibers. I usually start .025 jump and test for a good powder charge.
Then I'll test seating depth.
Next I will fine tune powder charge.

If I change powders I'll test seating depth again with the new powder and can't remember ever having to go with a different seating depth because of powder change.

What influences the optimum seating depth more, the rifle or the load.

They are, in my experience,interdependent. If you try load X in rifle A and change nothing but the seating depth, performance will change in that rifle. If you try load X in rifle B and change the seating depth its performance will also change in that rifle.
If you use the same test with a second rifle the performance will also change but the change will not be coincidental with the test in the first rifle.

If with a certain powder the gun shot the best seated .090 off the lands will the gun continue to shoot best with the same seating depth with different powders ?

No (see question 1)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.