SD & ES powder change?

emmagator

Ok ive been struggling with my SD and ES values.

270wsm
165gr vld
67.3gr Retumbo
seat 3.045"
norma brass
fed 215
es- 71
sd-19.9

fed 210
es-52
sd-13.4

I have been very meticulous in powder weighing case prep, brass sorting, bullet sorting, etc..Ive played around with seating depth, with no luck. The thing is, ill shoot 10 rounds or so and 2 or so rounds will throw my es way off. If i excluded those couple rounds i would have es of like10-15. The only thing i havent changed is powder, which i know can help. I have some h1000, should i try it? I just like the fps im getting with retumbo. My current round is shooting .5 moa at 100yrds. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

Speaking as a rookie reloader, I don't have a lot to offer but this--
Retumbo and H1000 seem too slow of a powder. In my Factory Tikka t3, I run 65grains of RL19, Rem 9 1/2M primer behind a 130gr TSX and I get 3148fps avg with a 9.9 ES, and about a 1/2" group at 100yds. gun)

I'm running Retumbo in my 7STW, and I'm still trying to find the sweet spot, but you are talking 80+ grains in that.

My current powder charge is on the high end to get me the fps i want. However, i guess i could play with my powder charges to see if that helps any,but i would hate to lose to much velocity.

I'm curious to see what others have to say as well. I have the same issue with my 7mmRM. I get that one or two that seem to be quite a bit off. Like you, I have been super meticulous with brass prep, powder charge, etc.

Often it is simply that the powder isn't loaded enough. Switch to a bit faster powder or put up with the sd variance. Some rifles simply show slightly larger x and sd than I'd like. Both of my 270 win rifles irritate me that way, but sub 1" groups at 200 yards settle the question a bit. Primer switching may help but you already show two of the best out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.