Scope that fits my needs under $1000

How does the glass on the minox compare with the SIII 6-24?
I haven't had any Sightron's yet but might be getting a 8-32x56 sometime in the future. I gave the 6-30x56 to my brother and currently the biggest magnification ZA5 I have is 4-20x50. I do plan getting another so if I do get both on the same line I will compare them but for now, no comments on Sightron.

Of course, with Minox you have to compromise on the features. They are hunting scopes and have very little tactical features. The 6-30x56 does have pretty good towers but you still have to unscrew the cover (or leave the covers out if you wish).

Minox towers and the other picture is Viper PST 4-16x50 next to 6-30x56 Minox ZA5.

DSC_1947.JPG

DSC_1904.JPG

I have 4 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes-3/LRMD & 1/MOA2. I like the MOA2 reticle,but I think it will only be a target scope for me.The lines are too fine,and they disappear into the background when looking at animals in wooded or brushy backgrounds.The LRMD reticle is a whole lot better for hunting,IMO.
I also have a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 w/duplex reticle,it is also a great scope with good glass and good repeatability.

Either brand will give you good optics.
I don't have any Vortex scopes,the Viper's that I've looked thru didn't impress me,but I have never seen a PST,so I can't comment on them.

I personally bought the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 and am very happy. This was my first dialable scope as well, and it is great. 30 mm tube and 1/4" adjustments. It runs 480-600 bucks. There is also a LR model but it has 1/2" clicks. This gives it north of 70 MOA adjustment and the BDC reticle is great. I'd check those out, even though they aren't FFP and are about half of the asking price, i enjoy mine.
Nimrod

The minox are interesting. The only things that I'm hesitant about are the lack of feedback of turret accuracy/repeatability, the adjustments are 1/8 MOA (instead of 1/4 MOA) and all the scopes are on 1" tubes so they limited overall MOA elevation adjustment. I can get s big sky III for about the same price

Pentax Lightseeker 6-24x50 LS-30 Dougs Camera Land
I won on his drawing I don't a long range scope where I live. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.List for $719.00 like I say would love for someone to enjoy this scope

I have the viper pst 6-24 x50 and it is a nice scope for the money I think the glass is good and compairs well to my ziess..also the features are awesome and their warranty is outstanding if you ever need it. I would like a nigh force but can't morgate the farm to buy one :D

The minox are interesting. The only things that I'm hesitant about are the lack of feedback of turret accuracy/repeatability, the adjustments are 1/8 MOA (instead of 1/4 MOA) and all the scopes are on 1" tubes so they limited overall MOA elevation adjustment. I can get s big sky III for about the same price

Are you looking for a long range scope? The 6-30x56 is a 30mm tube, the rest are 1". It is also 1/4 MOA adjustments. Turrets are good, the feel and accuracy of adjustment is much better than on the Vortex towers. I did not have it long enough to check for tracking.

4-20x50 has 1/8 MOA clicks. Nice feature IMO for small game hunters, not so for big game.

I went thru the same process and am buying Greybull.
Sightron reticles are way too busy for me.
Adding the turret to a Vortex was the same money as Greybull.
Greybull has Leupold warranty, good reticle, and dial turrets included.

I went thru the same process and am buying Greybull.
Sightron reticles are way too busy for me.
Adding the turret to a Vortex was the same money as Greybull.
Greybull has Leupold warranty, good reticle, and dial turrets included.

I like the reticles , just wish the MOA reticle was a standard cross vs the floating dot. I prefer to use the hashes for holdovers vs dialing if I can.

I just pulled the trigger on the vortex viper PST. I hope I don't regret it.

Im pretty sold on the Sightron maybe we will have to get together and shoot them side by side. Im gong to go drop off all my pieces to Travis on sunday, cant wait to get it back. I was really on the fence about a 300 RUM or 7 mag. After I shoot this out I will probably go to 338 RUM with 225 cutting edge bullets or stay with the 7 mag. What are your build specs?

300 ultra
700 action blueprinted
28" 5R rock creek barrel
DE Brake
GreyBull Stock (skim bedded)
Wyatts Extended Mag Box
Timney or Jewell Trigger

Building the gun around the 215 berger

Im hoping to get the gun to Travis within the next couple weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts