scope shopping

tikkat3270wsm

i am looking for a new long range scope. i have a Barska 4-16x50. cross hairs are way to thick. i am tossing around the idea of a Leopold vx3 6.5-20x50, but i have a question about Vortex. I have read some of the reveiws on here and they got me thinking. If I go with the vx3 i know what i am getting,With the Vortex i have no idea. I dont want to drop money in to a scope and come up as bad as i did with the Barska. can anyone tell me where they (Vortex) are made and if the are really worth my time. some of the reviews here sounded like sales pitches, even the one from the gentelman that said he got his from one of the guys from long range hunting. any help would be greatly appriciated. gun)

i am looking for a new long range scope. i have a Barska 4-16x50. cross hairs are way to thick. i am tossing around the idea of a Leopold vx3 6.5-20x50, but i have a question about Vortex. I have read some of the reveiws on here and they got me thinking. If I go with the vx3 i know what i am getting,With the Vortex i have no idea. I dont want to drop money in to a scope and come up as bad as i did with the Barska. can anyone tell me where they (Vortex) are made and if the are really worth my time. some of the reviews here sounded like sales pitches, even the one from the gentelman that said he got his from one of the guys from long range hunting. any help would be greatly appriciated. gun)

You know I joined to ask almost the same exact question about a rifle scope choice. Glad you did it for me. :cool:
bump

You cat go wrong with a Leupold but you may also want to look into Sightron, Vortex, Weaver And Minox. IMHO I think you will find you get more bang for your buck. All the above scopes will do one thing better then another....ie, Sighttron has GREAT tracking, Minox is light and compact, Vortex PST is lighted etc... All GREAT glass, as is the Leupold.

Camera land has some great open box specials on Ziess & Minox, their warranty follows the owner.

thanks everyone, I have a few more questions. On the Vortex site , there are 2 , 6-24x50 PST scopes. One is a FFP the other is not. What is the difference, besides about 100 bucks. Also what reticle do you guys recommend? MRAD or MOA ? What advantages do each have and why . I noticed that the non- FFP scope was the same price as the Leopold I am looking at, but has a bunch more candy ! Any help would be appreciatedgun).

Basically you can range at any power using the reticle with the FFP while on the SFP you range at 24x. Now the SFP has each power labeled so you just multiply what you measure by the indicated number to get the solution. the FFP just lets you skip that step. I have the SFP in 6x-24x and it seems like a solid scope. Very clear. I'm just having a minor issue with a small sliver on the left side of the reticle being cut off at 6X and appearing a little dark at all settings. I thought maybe it was just me but another shooter noted it as well. Let's hope it isn't just my imagination anyway. I will say however that Vortex customer service is on it and immediately wanted to check the scope out paying for expedited shipping both ways. These guys care about their products and will do what is needed to make sure you are treated right.

Can't go wrong with Leupold. I have and have had several and haven't a a complaint about a single one. With that said you may want to look at Zeiss too. They are in the price range of Vari-X III you mentioned and their glass is at least as good as Leupold. Don't have anything to add about Vortex because I haven't had the chance to use one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.