scope shopping-need a lightweight

my82cam

I am building a light weight rifle, well, lighter than the 300WM I just built. I am building a 700SS 300WSM, going to try and shed as much weight as possible. I am looking for a good, lightweight scope around $1k. I am looking into the zeiss hd5 3-15 with zero stops. I have several other zeiss and like them, but wish they had zero stops. this new hd5 model has zero stops and is right at 1k. it only weighs 17.5 oz(going from memory) and is much lighter then the huskemaw, nightforce, and vortex PST FFP or SFP. does anyone have any advice on the subject? I am not sure if I like the FFP over the SFP, guess I don't know enough about them, believe they are around 23 ounces. Anyone like the new zeiss hd5 over the conquest? looking to stay around the 3-16x range, don't need a 20+x scope.

Just my two cents. I wouldn't be deciding on what scope to but due to weight. Id try to cut weight in another area. Good luck.

Weight is in direct relationship to magnification/power. A 3-9 in comparable alloy tube with a 4-16 will always be lighter and a 4-16 will be lighter than a 6.5-24 and a 1" tube is lighter than a 30 or 35MM tube.

Finally, side parallelax will always be heavier than an AO scope (adjustable parallelax on the objective, and, a fixed parallelax (100 yard) scope will always be lighter than a adjustable parallelax whether side (focus/parallelax adjustable) or AO (Adjustable objective parallelax adjustment). Add in illuminated reticle and corresponding battery and the weight increases again.,

Your lightest scope will be a fixed power in a 1" tube, non-illuminated reticle.... also the least user friendly, next to a red dot or railway sight.

Check out the Swarovski Z-5 3.5-18x44. Weighs 15.9 ounces, has zero stop and can be equipped with the ballistic turret. Great glass with only limitation being about 13 moa of vertical with the ballistic turret. I've had one for about a year and a half and really like mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.