Rangefinder shopping today

Tom Brush

I went to Cabela's today to look at rangefinders. I tried the Swarovski, Leica 1200 and the 1500 Bushnell. Unfortunately, I could only range about 65 yds. in the store. It was so crowded that I could not take them outside. Some observations made were: The Swarovski had an orange circle that was not very bright. The Leica seemed to work well and the display was bright. The Bushnell had a black display. It was also the fastest to read the distance.

I asked the clerk if he had used the rangefinders. He had a very low opinion of the Swarovski. He said that the graphics were faint, operated slow and just plain did not do the job. The Bushnell would range animals out to 700 yds. and reflective targets over 1000 yds. The Leica was OK but any of the rangefinders with a red display did not work as well as those with a black display.

Needless to say I did not spend my money. I want to wait for a bright sunny day when I can take the rangefinders outside and get some readings.

the salesman obviously didn't know what he was talking about. I have used bushnell, nikon, leica, swaro's, and the swaro just puts to shame all the rest of the bunch.

True the display isn't super bright, and I don't like the big donut, but man the swarovski can downright range stuff far away. Even though it wasn't that bright we never had a tough time trying to range things in bright sun. (always could see the donut.)

We were in CO, elk hunting the last 8 days, and I was using the geovids side bye side with the swaro. THe geovids came back with a reading faster, but that was when we could get a reading. It was real sunny out and we could only get the geovids to hit around 900-1000, but we were consistently hitting trees and rocks and 1800-1900+ with the swaro's.

So I guess that if are going to stay in the store and range the clothing rack at 65 yds I would lean toward the nikon, but if you are going to use it for LR shooting/hunting buy the swaro's and have no regrets.
good luck with your search!

ps, i love the geovids, no hard feeling toward them, just think that the swaro's will reach farther in more conditions.

+1 on the swaro.

You say that the display isnt bright. It automatically adjusts brightness in differant light. I have never been blinded in low light by the display like I have on others yet it is more than bright enough on a blue bird day. As far as not getting the job done, perhaps it was operator error as I have gotton mine to range out to 1999 yards (its a 1500 yard range finfer) on anything from rocks to dirt to hill sides to broken brush in all light conditions.

I would take another look.

buffalobob and jimm were hunting together one w/swaro one w/Bushnell. It was hands down Swaro especially in flat featureless terrain. For antelope, I was told by the Bushnell owner, that the bushnell was pretty much useless.

I have a Leica 1200 scan. If I had the $ for the Swaro, I have the Swaro and not the $. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For mountian terrain the Leica is just fine. In flat country a steady tripod is a must to reach out to beyond 900 yds.

I just got a rifle that will out shoot the typical ranging ability of the Leica and as soon as I can't shoot the big girl up to her capabilities I suppose a Swaro will be a must.

I bought my Swaro last year and cannot believe I went this long without one. A lot of fellas hunt long range around here. At least 3 or 4 of them bought a Swaro after seeing mine. I am not a wealthy person, but the Swaro is DEFINATELY worth the $$$!!!! Hands down.
I have used the Bushnells in the past and was satisfied with getting a reading every now and then. They never really extended their range capabilities. The Swaro will just barely miss kissing 2000 yards (again, from a 1500 yard rated device!!).
I bought mine from Shooters of Jacksonville for $750. I think they have a web site of the same name.
SWARO...SWARO...SWARO....SWARO...!!!!!!
Wolfdawg

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have already decided to buy the Swaro. Just thought that you would enjoy the comments that people hear at the store. I based my decision on reading reports from this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Cabela's today to look at rangefinders.
I asked the clerk if he had used the rangefinders. He had a very low opinion of the Swarovski. He said that the graphics were faint, operated slow and just plain did not do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

There must be some kind of kick back from Bushnell to Cabelas for selling their line.
The Swarovski flat out works. I have used mine to range trees in bright summer sun at over 1300 yds and over 1700 yds on overcast days. The readings took about 1 second and repeatability might vary by 1 yd.

The Swaro optics and performance are superior to Bushnell.
You made the right choice going with the Swaro.

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
I asked the clerk if he had used the rangefinders. He had a very low opinion of the Swarovski. He said that the graphics were faint, operated slow and just plain did not do the job. The Bushnell would range animals out to 700 yds. and reflective targets over 1000 yds. The Leica was OK but any of the rangefinders with a red display did not work as well as those with a black display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I like going into these big chain stores and talking optics and ballistics for entertainment purposes only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.